Friday, December 07, 2007

Leaving this place....

That's right. I'll be moving away from this house.

I'm happy J-net made the first move to suggest that we can no longer stay with each other rather than me telling her that. We have our differences since Day-1 but I refrained from blogging it out. Never know who reads this blog! :) Day-1's fracas was the funniest. We (seriously) argued at length about washing machine and the tumble dryer. She insisted that it's more energy efficient using the tumble dryer than say, drying clothes like my running vest, in the room! Apparently, it sucks the sun's heat or whatever she imagined that day. I mean, what the! It was a complete waste of time talking to her! I kept laughing when I imagined her in the Cambridge Dissertation Conference. She'll be massacred! OMG, that was only Day-1 and I knew things will get more exciting thereafter.

Now that the lines are drawn, I'm really relieved that I will no longer stay with someone who complains everything but herself. She's been the stress which I failed to and didn't want to mention in the Ben & Jerry story or tell Noris about when he was around with his mom and sis. I was rather surprised when she mentioned she had a turnover of 15 tenants in the past 3 years. 2 told her she's a vicious, self-centered old lady. 1 told her directly that he hates her. Approximately 5 left the house in 3 to 5 months. Now I know why. In fact, it now makes sense the empty rooms were not deliberately left empty for guests, but people have left them moments before I moved in. Am not sure why she told me that but it seems pretty useful now to think that I am not alone! There are now two of us and the other tenant is moving away too. Now that she has gotten rid of me, she'll be living alone, which I hope she'll be happier that way.

I'm an impatient person but living here has moulded me into becoming the most patient, tolerant and accomodating person in the world! But I have also become less friendly, more cold and stressful as a result of such predicament. Take for example, the other day when we were talking about Malaysia. I told her Malaysia is a multi-racial society with Malay, Chinese and Indians being the three major ethnic groups in the country. She then asked about religion and I told her that all Malays are Muslims in the country but not all Muslims in Malaysia are Malays. She argued that there's no such thing. Why? Because it's wrong in England to do that and Malaysia was a British Colony! I was gobsmacked by her answer! I nearly fainted. Right, she already used "was" a British Colony. Then I asked her if she's been to Malaysia. The response.."No." Friends who know me well would surely think that I would have lost my temper in that instance but let me surprise you....I said, "You're probably right, J-net, I think not all Malays in Malaysia are Muslims." I can't believe it. I gave way!

So what went wrong this time?

I sent my bagpack to Brussels for repair. It was still under warranty. The repair shop wrote an email that they have delivered the bagpack to me and it was already signed for on 3rd December, which was Monday. Obviously, you'd probably ask the only person in the house at that time if there was a bag delivered on that date. So I did. In a tactful way, I asked, "Hi J-net, were there mails delivered lately? I was actually expecting a parcel containing my bagpack. They claimed to have sent it on 3rd December."

Without any sign of agitation, she burst out in anger saying that she didn't have to steal a "bloody bag"and since she was, in her own words, "worth more than a few hundred times of a millionaire in England". I really thought she didn't have to react that way, even if she is or thinks she's rich. But I told myself enough is enough. She's gone too far this time.

She’s really tried me to the max. Then I raised my voice and the "Great Quarrel" erupted. But I admitted defeat in less than a minute because for every sentence that I uttered, 5 illogical ones came back to me. "I used to drive a BMW!", "I take a Prada bag, not a bagpack!", "My friends are all rich!" "How dare you make me feel like a thief!"blah blah blah...I thought it was a complete waste of time again, so I left for the kitchen and did my Friday abstinence dinner. She knew I lost my temper on her for the very first time.

She then asked if I have had enough of her. I looked her in the face and said “Yes” while nodding my head. I stared down at her and then she continued, “You don’t want to live here anymore?” I paused for a while and then said “No.”

"Okay, up to you"

She then left the kitchen. I thought for a while, "Gee, have I been bullied all these while?" I am still in denial. Then I breathed a sigh of relief that I finally was able to say what I had always wanted to say and be the person that I had always wanted to be, which was myself!

Knowing J-net for some time, she will probably apologise later and regret on her words like how she attempted through the Ben & Jerry previously. But I see this as an opportunity for me to move on! At least I don't have the burden of guilt of trying to flee from someone. I can now proudly claim that if I survived J-net, I can survive anyone else on Earth!

I know this is a very unexpected turn of event but I hope you share my joy now that I am able to move away from this place. Enough is enough.

Thank God for the experience…

6 comments:

joanium said...

I agree, she is a psycho lady. Oh, Yap! I'm sorry you've had to deal with such madness, especially because home is meant to be a restful place. I hope we can catch up soon and you can tell me that you've found a nice place to live. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Am I reading that you've been a victim of a bagpack incident?? Sorry to hear that. Am ashamed of what my country did to you.

Anonymous said...

all i'm saying is not all brits are such an anal like j-net. the rest of us are friendly ppl, especially after booze!

Kiki said...

Oh, I am sorry to hear that you have got such a bad-tempered landlady. Yes, you are right - if you have survived tolerating her, perhaps you will be able to put up with most people in this world... ha.. ha.. So, have you find a new place already? Room-hunting is not easy and packing and moving create headaches for me!!! Anyway, good luck with your room-hunting!!!

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

Hi. Thanks all. I don't extrapolate one unusual incident to think all Brits are bad. I've come across very nice people too.

I'd probably start looking for a place mid January. That's when I leave this place. Unfortunately, my November rental was paid end of the month and will only finish in end of this month, that's only when the deposit would be used. So that's quite bad news that I still have to face her for another 6 weeks!

Wadi: said...

I am sorry to have learnt about this deplorable situation. Oh my, sometimes, not all sweetness is sweet and not all bitterness is bitter. I know you are stronger to have faced this kind of predicament. It's still an unbelievable thing for me on this J-net thingy. I am thinking quite hard whether she was comfortable with me, mom and sister during our visit at your place last time. You be strong ok.