Thursday, November 22, 2007

That's Peace of Cake!

I had been moody these few days because of work; many questions, too little answers. But my mood completely changed after tonight. Here, read on...

The landlady noticed I have been moving in and out of the house without much conversation. She then decided to go to the kitchen tonight while I was cooking and asked about me.

I told her about the frustration of having to do something but not able to do it because of circumstances beyond my control and which I will not disclose in this blog. She was not surprised at all when I told her that. She was explaining to me the English work culture, level of expectations and some of the dos and don't dos in office. She quipped, "You must know how to creep. You know "creep"?"

"Um, you mean, suck up to someone?" I asked without much thought

J-net laughed and said, "Yea, put bluntly."

"That's the last I will do! I will not creep!"

J-net was telling me this whole story about her husband, his work in office etc etc etc. I wasn't interested at all since I already have so much on my plate already. I just didn't want to listen to stories about office anymore. Many friends in the UK and Malaysia said that working in the UK is very relaxed. Now, that's a myth and I debunk that.

It depends on where you end up. For me, I belong to the Strategy and Finance team, so that's quite a workaholic group. People come in as early as 8am and leave as late as 8pm. When I told my friends here, they just couldn't believe it.

That's not what I want to tell.

So J-net coaxed me to more conversation. I wasn't up for it. I just wanted to finish dinner, wash up, get the hell out of the kitchen, up to my room and sleep. But she didn't give up. She kept throwing subjects to talk, making fun and teasing me. She told me she stole my biscuits. I asked her to finish them off instead. I was plain cold with my response. I felt like a spoilt kid. J-net went back to her TV when I finished cooking.

Personally, I do not expect anyone to give a hood or "pamper" me when I'm feeling down. I am alone in this country and there are things I should adapt to. There are things I need to fend for myself. It's not like in Malaysia, I can just call up someone and go out for a drink, or to pasar malam, jogging, swimming or dinner. Here, it's me, myself and I. Besides, who's in Reading??? But I really feel touched when J-net was so caring like a mother to a child.

Not long after, J-net shouted from the living hall and up to the floor, to another housemate and asked if he wants to eat ice-cream. Then she went into the kitchen and asked me the same. I felt completely naughty tonight and tried to give her a hard time. I answered, "Yea, only if you have Ben & Jerry's! Not negotiable." I said with a cheeky smile.

"What?! Ben & Jerry's?"

"Yea, and just that brand only. And I want the one with strawberry." I replied like an idiot not knowing exactly what I want with B&J. B&J's flavours are very unique. They have funny names like, "Chunky Monkey", "Phish Food, "New York Super Fudge Chunk", etc. So, saying something like what I did probably made me looked like a bloody moron.

J-net went away mumbling something I could hardly hear. She probably thought I was being ridiculous. I am sicken with myself too. People gave me an inch, I asked for a yard! But that's what I wanted to do at the time. I just didn't want to be nice anymore.

Almost finishing my dinner, J-net walked in again with a bag. She passed me my Ben & Jerry. She said, "Here you are. Just what you wanted. The one with strawberry. Now be happy. That's Peace of Cake!"

7 comments:

feifeipinky said...

aiyo! u r spoiled by ur landlady!!!! my goodness...she's such a nice landlady. God bless her.
hey...happy b'day! hmm...if u not happy working there...come back m'sia la. ;p

Keipo said...

Hello,Bro PM15:

Wish u 25/11 happy birthday !

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

there are a dozen things which i'm unhappy with but there are millions which i am. what you're reading now is just one of the dozen. so, working here is still good.

Keipo said...

Happ birthday bro alden !!

Raymond said...

omedetoo tanjoobi gozaimasu yo!
Kyonen nan-sai desu ka?

Wadi: said...

Hey there Alden,

Life is like a rollercoaster - as Ronan Keating's lyric says. Me too, at times, mixed challenges and higher expectations people do have on me and perhaps, on you too. You are right. Here, in Malaysia, a cup of teh tarek session with friends and chilling out with them would diagnose those. But you have J-net around. I am missing her so much though.

And I am telling you; Happy Birthday Bro! May God bless you in your pursuits and endeavours of happiness. This is life, you do have a great one in the UK!

Cheers and take care

Kiki said...

wow... you are so lucky to have such a nice landlady, pampering you!!! I totally understand the feeling of being alone and not being able to see friends whenever you want to... Just wanna tell you that you are not the only one in that situation. At least, you are in Reading, which is close to London, where you have got friends. For me, I am alone far up north in Nottingham, in a small, quiet and chilly village. Anyway, I am not complaining and I think I am coping with it fine. Add oil with your work! Happy birthday once again and I am so glad to meet up with you in London today.