Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Bring the Ox-on!

This week seems to be Oxford bashing week. Today I have been receiving so many emails from the Cambridge Hare & Hounds in the run up to the Varsity match this Saturday.

I have a few quotes of quotes to share and many more to hide, due to its use of language(read lame):

"Not that I had any special reason for hating school. Strange as it may seem to my readers, I was not unpopular there. I was a modest,good-humoured boy. It is Oxford that has made me insufferable." -Sir MaxBeerbohm (1872-1956), Merton College

"Silicon Valley:the original, south of San Francisco in California.
Silicon Ranch:the Dallas-Fort Worth area in Texas.
Silicon Gulch:Austin, Texas.
Silicon Swamp:Florida (it's true!, there are many high-tech companies here).
Silicon Vale: our very own version of Silicon Valley, although not quite onthe same scale, west of London and close to Heathrow.
Silicon Glen:in Scotland, being a government `enterprise zone'.
Silicon Fen:around Cambridge using talent from the university.
Silicon Ford:Oxford?"


"(Blackadder thinks Nurse Mary is a German spy)...
CAPTAIN BLACKADDER: And then the final, irrefutable proof. Remember, you mentioned a clever boyfriend...
NURSE MARY : Yes.
CAPTAINBLACKADDER : I then leapt on the opportunity to test you. I asked if he'd been to one of the great universities; Oxford, Cambridge, or Hull. You failed to spot that only two of those are great Universities.
NURSE MARY : Swine!
GENERAL MELCHETT : That's right! Oxford's a complete dump!"

Sorry Oxons. May the best runners win this weekend!!

No comments: