Saturday, November 17, 2007

I'm through!

I arranged for an appointment with the Home Office three weeks ago and was just able to get my visa done today. I applied for the International Graduate Scheme (IGS). It is a type of visa that allows overseas students who have studied in the UK to work in the country for a year. Many people have asked me questions about the IGS.

(Faint image done intentionally)

Some of them were not found in the FAQ section of the website. I thought it would be helpful to post an article about the IGS on this occasion. I know some of the silent readers of this blog who have just completed their UK degrees may have these burning questions:

How much?
£595 for same day service (apply in person) or
£395 by post (takes longer time)


Work permit or IGS?
Your work permit is tied with the employer but the IGS is not. There's flexibility to switch jobs more easily (and frequently?) with the IGS without the need to make a new work permit. It can take ages doing that! (Read this article from Joan's blog)

The IGS needs a letter of consent from the sponsor (if you've received a scholarship to study in the UK). What should I do? Should I be honest?
Yes, you should! Be very honest! The administrator of your university will most likely grant you consent to get some working experience in the country. Well, at least I could say that for Cambridge. So, don't worry too much about this. After all, it's just a piece of paper away from completing the requirement. Most importantly, be honest!

Validity?
One year.

What if I want to work longer?
Apply for the work permit with your employer or get the High Skill Migrant Programme (HSMP) visa if you meet the score requirements.

Then why bother with the IGS since I have to get a work permit anyway?
Firstly, it gets you back into the country for work easier, unlike the work permit. And later on, if you decide a year is too much for you (because you're home sick, getting married or just decide not to continue working here), that one year is just nice with the IGS. But if you decide to stay on for the rest of your life (maybe I have exaggerated from say, 5 years), then applying for the work permit while you've already secured a job, earning an income with an employer, and in the country will, I believe, be easier.

Why didn't my employer suggest the IGS then?
The IGS was only introduced in May 2007. That's about 7 months ago. Quite likely this information has not been passed down effectively to the HR. I don't know, I am just guessing. Or another guess would be, because the IGS and work permit probably cost the same. The only difference is that, there's no chain to the leg with the IGS. Get it?

Can I do this in my home country?
Yes, at the British High Commission.

Tips?

You need to make an appointment to do the IGS if you want the same day service, or you can apply by post. An appointment slot for the same day service may take several weeks from the time you make one. So you need to make sure you get your IGS sorted in time to start work.

2 comments:

Wadi: said...

wow. that's informative. For my future consideration perhaps. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Angeline and some questions wan to ask u.....i just graduate from UK for my bachelor degree and now i am holding a visitor visa in UK. I am planning to go back Msia to apply for IGS. So do u know how much is the fee for applying this visa and how long will it take to apply? this is the most important questions that i ned to know now.....hope that u can give me some suggestion or information......looking forward to heard from u......my email add is aytyng84@hotmail.com

by the way, i get to read ur post through google.....hope u dont mind.....thanks for all the information u gave......