Wednesday, December 26, 2007

"Violently Christmas"

I'm still trying to figure out the magic behind the song, "Fairytale of New York" by "The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl". This song has made it to be the "most played" Christmas song in the UK.

If I didn't know the lyrics, I did find the song nice and soothing. The format of the tune is also typical of a Christmas song. Then when I read the lyrics, I was appalled by the use of "old slut", "scumbag", "maggot", "lousy faggot" and "Christmas your arse" in the song. They were quite a turnoff actually. Somehow, the tune kept ringing in my mind. Arrghhh!!!

I would have happily recommended this song if not for the crazy lyrics. But the fact that I am writing about it now....oh well...

I read that the song has also created a controversy here. BBC had initially censored the song but made a u-turn in the decision after listeners complained. They thought it's creative and said that they can decide for themselves what is malicious and not. To me, it's quite an "Eminem-type" urban Christmas song. I don't know if it's in the Malaysian radio channels but I doubt this song will make it to the airwaves. I've embedded the Youtube below. Do tell me what you think as I am still trying to figure out what is the magic behind this song...

2 comments:

Wadi: said...

Dear Alden,

A very happy merry christmas to you. I called you during the day but to no avail. Realised you have changed your number. You do have had great time there, from the pictures you posted and your blogging expression. How I wish I would have been there for Christmas. Missing that in the UK, especially Glasgow.

Cheers
Noris
Bangkok

Anonymous said...

Hi, Selamat Hari Natal if you still recall the Malaysian way of expressing Merry Christmas. Anyway I suppose you have a good Christmas celebration and enjoyed every moment that went by. Thanks God for for His greatest gift for all mankind. The year is coming to the end in year a couple of days and I wish you "DONT GO LAH"