Sunday, December 02, 2007

The Marathon

The 2007 Singapore Marathon would have finished and my running friends who have participated in it would have known their actual timing and positions by now.

Like any other marathons, there are bound to be winners and finishers in the end. The reason I didn't use "losers" is because there really isn't such thing as a loser in a marathon race. There will also be people who are disappointed and those who are satisfied with their timings. People who will swear it will be their last marathon in their lives; people who will look forward to the next one. People who will curse the weather, people who will be thankful for a cramp-less race.

The reason I am writing is to report on my next attempt for the next marathon - the supposed 2008 Flora London Marathon. Two days ago I received the online ballot results. Unfortunately, I did not make it to be a runner for next year's marathon. It's quite a painful news.

Oh well, what else can I say but to think on the positive side that, at least I do not have a marathon to train for at the moment, which is ermm...good news? The reason I am disappointed is because of the coordination between this run and the Paris Marathon. The closing date of Paris was only a week before the FLM ballot results and the runs are a week apart. Paris does not go through ballot while FLM does. So, it's abit of a tough choice. You either lock yourself in for Paris with 70Euro participation fee or cross your finger for the 23quid FLM or you end up having to run both marathons in a week's apart! Many hopeful runners who have the same fate as me have lamented that they would have registered for Paris had they known about their fate in FLM. Sigh...

Actually, I am quite tempted to fall back on Cambridge's Hare and Hounds and ask if they have an extra guaranteed entry for FLM. Logically, priority would be given to current students in the society rather than alumni members. I can try my luck..who knows....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, you can always come here for the Chicago marathon :)
Teri