Saturday, December 15, 2007

Trip to Windsor and Eton

I made a trip to Windsor and Eton today with Winson and his parents. It does rhyme a little reading it, doesn't it? Haha.

Windsor Castle is known to be the oldest and largest occupied castle in the world.

Apparently the Queen is in Windsor Castle today. The entrance fee cost us around 12 quid per pax and it included an audio guide and optional walking tours. I bumped into the walking tour by chance and followed through. The tour guide told us that if the "Royal Standard" flag is flying, that means the Queen is in residence. Other times, it would just be the Union Jack flag. Today, the Royal Standard was flying! I was really excited when I heard and saw that. I kept hoping that I would get a glimpse of her if she happened to come out or something. Unfortunately, she didn't.
The Royal Standard flag was flying today

The castle has a no-photography policy, so I couldn't take any pictures when I was inside. However, I took some of the castle's surroundings. It's a very large castle. But I also noticed Windsor is under a flight path of an adjacent airport. I suspect it's Heathrow since it's the nearest one around. I observed 5 planes within a span of 6 minutes flying on the same path. I can't imagine how could anyone continue living there. The roaring of the jets' engines were quite a nuisance. Well, I suppose the Queen's setting an example for others to follow.


Panorama view of Windsor Castle


We went into the castle and I was completely bedazzled thinking if all the stuff in the castle was real. The fine carvings, chinas, busts, paintings and rooms were so heavily decorated that it didn't seem real. How could anyone afford all these unless that person is a King! Erm...quite rightly so, that's why I am in a castle! Ah! What an idiot..



Group photo at Eton College

We ended our trip with a short tour to Eton College. It's just a stone's throw from Windsor Castle. Eton College grounds reminded me of Cambridge. There's a Porter's Lodge and its chapel looked like the King's College chapel in Cambridge. Felt like I've been there before but I haven't.

Winson and his parents


Joining Winson and his parents for the trip was also fun. Catching up on news about home was a great antidote to missing home.

No comments: