Monday, June 25, 2007

Longest Pool in the UK

Jesus Green Swimming Pool

I had the opportunity to swim in the longest swimming pool in the UK - Jesus Green Swimming Pool. It's a 100 yard (or 91m) pool, that's almost 2x an Olympic-size I used to swim! The best part is that it's located in Cambridge and I just signed up for a 1-month pass that cost me £31.40; that's alot cheaper than £3.60 per entry. I just had to make sure I swam at least three times a week to get my money's worth. So, I can basically use this pool whenever I like throughout the month, including the Parkside Pool or any of the pools run by the Cambridge City Council.

Effectively, I could only choose between Parkside or Jesus Green because they are located in the city and by a short distance between each other. Parkside is only 25m but it's a heated indoor pool with an average water temperature of 28 deg C throughout the year, which is fantastic especially in this country. Jesus Green isn't heated, there are plenty of floating leaves and the water temperature is 18deg C! That's gonna freeze the ##### of me! But I've already done Jesus Green twice and Parkside once.

Plenty of changing cubicles but my first encounter seeing an open top changing area!

Since I do laps, JG is THE place for laps. I only needed to do 20 laps to clock a mileage of 2km! Swimming in JG is far more promising than in Parkside. 2km in 40minutes the first time, and 38 minutes the second. Parkside? I could hardly know about my time. I lose count easily trying to track 80laps in Parkside. I'd use the card more in Jesus Green.

Parkside Pool

1 comment:

Raymond said...

what r u waiting for,pack your white arenas and start doing laps,hav n been busy lately?