Sunday, April 22, 2007

London Marathon

Here are the results for the London Marathon, my personal best so far. 4hrs 1min 50secs. I can't believe it, I nearly achieved a sub-4 despite the heavy workload and lack of proper training. Previous record was 4hours 20mins. My targeted time was 4 hours 30mins.

http://live.london-marathon.co.uk/2007/index.php?content=detail&id=00000307554534000005FF80

So sorry I can't write more now. I am working on my assignments which are due on the 24th and 27th this week. I will write a comprehensive report soon.

Meanwhile, I just want you guys to know that this year's London Marathon was the hottest in history. If there's anything that I could equate, I would say running the KL Marathon at 10am. No wind or cold air. Temperature was highest at 23 deg C. I had a watch mark on my wrist from the tanning today. But it was also the best I ever had...stay tuned...

Do read this report extracted from BBC about today's race. Didn't know so many people passed out!:

"A record number of runners have completed the London Marathon after sweltering in unseasonal heat.
St John Ambulance said it treated 5,032 people, and of these 73 were sent to hospital for further treatment.
The 36,391 runners were the usual mix of professionals, amateurs and celebrities, most of whom were raising money for charitable causes.
Temperatures hit 21C at midday, equalling the 1996 record, and rose slightly higher in the afternoon.
Celebrity chef Gordon Ramsey was among a number of famous faces to run - and suffer - in the heat.
"It was like running in a desert today. I stopped to help one guy. It was quite bad. They were dropping like flies," he said.
Other competitors included model Nell McAndrew, Olympic hurdle champion Sally Gunnell, wheelchair basketball player Ade Adepitan and rugby star Matt Dawson.
Michelle Dewberry, winner of the BBC television show The Apprentice last year, said she saw someone who had collapsed being resuscitated after about four miles.
She said: "I have seen lots of people passed out and being resuscitated. It is scary, scary stuff."
Matt Dawson, a members of England's rugby World Cup team, said the conditions were "brutal".
"I have seen it has really had an effect on some people. It just stops you in your tracks when you see people pass out in front of you," he said.
Kenya's Martin Lel won the men's race in an upset for favourites Haile Gebrselassie and reigning world marathon record holder Paul Tergat"

9 comments:

Keipo said...

Bro Alden:

Congratulation kau-kau lat...!!

Hope u will sub 4 soon.....!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!! Good job!. So inspiring :)
-Teri

feifeipinky said...

great job!!! waoh! i tink nxt round u sure can get sub 4...congrat!!!!

Raymond said...

fulamak! Taihen hayai ne!!!!!!!
Minus the rush,jostle and pushing in the record breaking crowd...u have recorded a sub 4hr hello!
neway.....Well done dude!

p/s:i shuddered by looking at your impressive splits

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

Raymond: It's true that the crowd was really hampering my progress forward. i was zig-zagging in between people. Can you believe, I thought that the runners would thin off after 3km or so, just like singapore or KL, but it was all the way to finish!

Wadi: said...

Congratulations bro. I am so inspired by your sheer determination. Cheers!

No Angel said...

I just read that a london marathon runner died because of the marathon and he was only 22 years old. http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=4737789

Ah long ni mmg hebat. Caya lah!

Anonymous said...

Don't go lah, come and run in KL to do sub 4 lah,sure you can wan. Your PB time just similiar to mine when I first did my maiden marathon in KL before you were even learnt to run, well missed you very much don't go lah, come back lah

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

don't go lah....what has malaysia to offer???