Friday, November 21, 2008

Alcohol and the Asian Face


The thing about the Asian face is that you can never hide from drinking alcohol.

We do lunch in a group on Fridays. Today we went to a Belgian restaurant to feast on mussels and other seafood. Most of us including me went for the express lunch deal which came with a drink. The choice of drink in the deal was Belgian lager, house wine or soft drinks.

Not a fan of soft drinks, my choice was down to two. I picked the Belgian lager.

You'd have thought if you've lived and intoxicated yourself long enough in a place where alcohol is part of the ubiquitous meal deals and to a level where your body wouldn't respond anymore, just as the colouring of "teh tarik" wouldn't to Malaysians, you couldn't be more wrong and betrayed.

After lunch my red was face.

Colleagues who passed me asked if I'm drunk and that I could still work. I told them I am fine.

I am glad there was a Chinese colleague who had similar facial colour as I. So we pointed out this Asian gene thing and vindicated ourselves from being labeled as alcohol intolerant.

I noticed most of the Asian faces turn red no matter how little alcohol we have!

And had I not spotted a mistake earlier, you'd probably think I am really drunk. Read again the line "After lunch my…."

1 comment:

Kiki said...

People say that it's better to have a red face after taking alcohol, as the alcohol can leave your body faster if you have a red face.