Tuesday, November 25, 2008

30

That's what I am today.

It's a working day as usual. I went to the office with two bags of cakes and shared them in the office. It's a tradition here to buy cakes if it's your birthday. It's the other way round in Malaysia.

I am also taking the opportunity to thank almost 18 million of you who have text, sent a card, a present, emailed or left birthday greetings in my Facebook today. Special thanks to my parents, brother, Ann Jet, Irene and Raymond who called or tried calling all the way from Malaysia. It was very nice of you!

In the evening I went to a talk by Priti. She was giving a presentation of her PhD research on slum networking to an audience from the International Development Network. It was an interesting topic. Oh what nerd I am, you must be thinking! Going for a talk on my birthday???

Priti doing her presentation

No, but we went out for dinner afterwards. Joan, Owen, Winson, Priti and I had Chinese in one of the nearby restaurants. We also took the opportunity to celebrate Owen's farewell before he leaves for Sudan on an international mission next week.
Owen demonstrating the right way to use chopsticks in Sudan

Saturday was the greater deal.

That was when I actually celebrated my birthday. There was a twist. I jointly celebrated my birthday with Amy. Amy is another Malaysian whom I met here.

Her birthday passed recently and she was supposed to celebrate her birthday with her friends on the same day. I thought it would be nice to have a joint celebration. Doing this jointly not only eliminated the guilt of not attending her event or her attending mine, but also created a great opportunity for both our friends to know each other.

Have you not heard the song "The more we get together"?

"...cause your friends are my friends and my friends are your friends
The more we get together the happier we'll be."


My friends are your friends

and your friends are my friends

There were 11 of us. We celebrated our birthdays in New Tayyabs which was a cross between a Pakistan and Punjab restaurant. The place was in Whitechapel, East London.

Whitechapel is well known for the murders of Jack the Ripper at the end of the 19th century. What else? Seedy activities like illegal trading and prostitution. It's probably like Chow Kit serving good nasi padang or Pudu, lovely curry fish head but let's not get into that now. The food in New Tayyabs was excellent. It was also highly rated in the reviews.

Since it was lunch, we proceeded to Priti's after Whitechapel. We had a relaxing time there. Not only was she kind enough to lend her place but also served us tea, coffee and snacks. Gina joined us in between.

We hanged out for a couple of hours before we left.

That's my 30th birthday report.

9 comments:

feifeipinky said...

hahaha...birthday report??? Welcome to the 30's club.. ;p

niQue_naQ said...

hey dearie! Happy Birthday! Apologies for the late wish but i promise to take you out to a huge Sushi Dinner Buffet when you come back okey!

Here's to a good year for you and god bless! (^_^)

Wadi: said...

Dear Alden,

Happy Belated Birthday. Sorry. I attempted to call you through your old number - but unreacheable. I owe you one as well once you are back (for a while) in Malaysia. Let me know what do you want?

God bless you!

Cheers
Noris

Noob Tourist said...

hehe, and also my belated birthday wish to you: happy birthday!

SinLoong 欣伦 said...

happy belated birthday... claim ur birthday meal when we meet up in Sg when u r back! u have my tel no.?

gaagaagrace said...

Oops! I'd missed your birthday. Happy Belated Birthday Alden. Many best wishes for the years to come.

Oh, what a day beckons
But a day indeed
forward from yesterday
And a day indeed
to rejoice yesteryears'
accomplishments and deeds

A step forward
never a step backward
to fully live
life's measure
and to fully leave
the indelible footprints of life

May this day forward
brings you much joy and happiness
your present molding your history
each life's step intertwining now and then
each step gaining the full measure
of a man
Happy Birthday!

Wahhhh...my 10 minutes poem. Not too bad, rite? Hahaha ^_^

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
§nóflèk said...

hey hey! i know this is so bad, but i hvn't really been reading blogs this week but i just wanted to wish you a happy 30th birthday!! :) God gave you a lovely present in the form of a visa eh? ;)

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

hi all!

Thanks again for your well wishes!