Sunday, October 07, 2007

Visit by ESDers

It's the Visit Malaysia year. I am glad three of my coursemates came for holiday and chose to visit this country. I was on holiday myself but I was also the tour guide this time. It was different talking to friends in the classroom and talking to them again in a new place, especially when you are playing host.

Owen came for a week, while Chris and Melissa, 5 days. Their visit kept me occupied for a week. Their stay has enabled me to learn heaps about my own country. I had to explain history to them at the places we visited. It was until they came that I realised about the tiring role of a tour guide. As a tour guide, I am also expected to know the background and history of those places that I bring. At least to the SPM level of history lessons.

The best thing was not only knowing about Malaysia but Malaysians too. I like being asked questions about the multi-racial society in this country and how the different races live with each other. Their stay covered many of the things which I had also intended to do, eat or meet:

Buildings and monuments: Sultan Abdul Samad, KLCC, A Famosa, St Paul Church, Tugu Negara, Mini Malaysia, Thean Hou Temple, Hindu Temple in KL Petaling Street, Chinatown, Putrajaya

Nature: Waterfall in Hulu Yam Bharu, Batu Dam, Batu Caves, KL Bird Park, Crocodile Farm, Fireflies in Kuala Selangor, KL Lookout Point in Ampang,

Culture: Ramadhan Bazaar, Mooncake Festival, Chinese Wedding ceremony, Traditional massage by the Orang Asli Sakai.

Food: Nasi Lemak; Roti Canai, Telur, Bawang, Kaya, Pisang, Planta; Nasi goreng Pattaya, Padprik, Kampung, Cina; Prawn mee, Dim Sum, Yee mee soup, Bah Kut Teh, Hainan Chicken rice, Chicken Rice Ball, Wan Tan Mee, Nasi Briyani, Yong Tau Foo, Chee Cheong Fun, Ayam tandoori, Mooncake, Purple Dragon Fruit, Duku Langsat, Seafood BBQ in Banting, Cheese naan, Mooncake, Teh tarik and lots of teh tarik!!

The final night of their stay, I arranged them to attend a wedding banquet with me and indulge in a 10-course meal.

Yoke Mei and Ricky's Wedding Banquet

2nd dinner after wedding banquet organised by Noris. He made this place like an open-air formal.


Sungai Sendat Waterfall





Melaka trip



Putrajaya


National monument




Owen, Melissa and Chris trying out the Nasi Lemak and teh tarik.

14% of the 2006/2007 ESD students chose Malaysia...

Thanks to Noris, Fahmy, Azela and Eskandar for contributing their time. Additional thanks to Noris and Fahmy for taking a day off from work to be the tour guides for Melaka and Putrajaya and also organising for the 2nd part of the dinner after the wedding banquet. Special thanks to Yoke Mei for inviting us to her wedding; Gary Chan & Pooi Fern for inviting us to their Mooncake reunion dinner.

2 comments:

Kiki said...

Envy you so much!

Wadi: said...

Hey Alden,

Thanks to you too for bringing me into the world of sustainable development. Also, to your happening friends :)

Cheers