Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Musical for a song

It was 7pm Friday and I thought, maybe I should go to Oxford Circus and check out the London Palladium. I knew it was the theatre for the Sound of Music. It was much talked about in summer and I thought maybe I should find out about it myself. It was already crowded with people waiting to get in when I arrived. I walked in to the ticket counter and asked if there was any ticket left. Last minute person that I am, I asked for my type of ticket. They said they have three at the ground level, called the Stalls. It was just 8 rows from the stage. I expected to hear the most expensive price for that one and considered that as a no go, but it was rude to just walk off. So I asked for the price to decline it. As I have expected, the agent said, "Well, that's the 55-pound ticket..."


It was too expensive for me. Sensing that I would not continue with the transaction, the agent continued, "....but the....wait a minute, I think I can give you a discount on that one since we just released them as last-minute tickets. Hold a sec...**paused. The agent looked at his terminal**....okay, I can offer you that for 20 pounds. That's the price you'd usually pay for the cheapest ticket here."

My eyes opened wide in disbelief. I acted on impulse and continued with the transaction without a second thought. I knew I shouldn't even spend 20pounds since I am not earning an income and that's alot considering that I would soon spend on other expenses like rental and its deposit, furnitures, cooking utensils, food ingredients etc. But 20 pounds to be seated so near to the stage???? They've got a deal, man! The devil in me thought, what the heck, let's consider that as the "Prelims" for settling down here. To cut the long story short, there I was, I bought the ticket and sat through 2.5 hours to watch the Von Trapp family.

I just found out I shouldn't take a photograph inside, but yea, that's how the Palladium looks like

At least 8 songs were sung in the play. But I paid the ticket for a song.

3 comments:

joanium said...

I love last minute tickets! I go to musicals quite often and wave about my student card. You can usually get the best seat in the house for 20 pounds.

I hope you enjoyed the Sound of Music. It's one of my favourite musicals. Les Miserables is also worth going to -- 17.50 pounds for last minute tix!

feifeipinky said...

hey...my favourite!
was the Musical good? The one they played in M'sia theatre was bad...the sequence of the story was totally mess up & the "Captain" singing was average.
Anyway, 20pounds is cheap as compared if u watch it in M'sia.

Kiki said...

Last minute again???