Monday, October 15, 2007

Thank you, Friends!

I had a great 5 weeks break in Malaysia. The foods have been great and I never had the chance to stop eating the myriad types of food here. I weighed myself when I first arrived; 63kg. This morning I weighed again; 66kg!

I will start a next chapter of my life in the UK, Reading to be exact. Reading isn't what you would usually pronounce. It's pronounced as "Red-ding" here. I have weighed many options before deciding on this new career milestone. It wasn't an easy decision to leave family, friends and contribute to what some may call it as a brain-drain to the country. Brain drain???? I certainly feel flattered by remarks indicating that I actually have one! Hahaha!

Serving the nation can be done in many ways and from anywhere in the world. Read globalisation. For me, this can be done more effectively when I have the experience and equipped with the right skills to do the right things for the country. Learning from an established institution provides the opportunity for me to know what works and what doesn't. These priceless experiences can then be transferred to the development of the nation.

Sorry for writing as if I have cut and paste from a questionaire of "why you should be allowed to leave the country". Am sure many of you will understand.

Five weeks weren't enough for me. I attribute this to everyone in Malaysia whom I have encountered. Their great company and hospitality have made my stay in Malaysia feel extremely short!

I am looking forward to graduation in July 2008. I have had an FAQ, "Why do you graduate so late?" Well, I could have chosen this November but I have promised my (ex) course mates to graduate together then. Graduation in Cambridge is very flexible. We graduate according to Colleges and there are specific dates to choose from. These dates are usually similar and available for all of the 31 Colleges here, throughout the year. A member of my College once said, "Take your time to choose a date. You may even graduate in absence if you wish. Some people choose to come back for graduation after 10 years!" Maybe 10 years is too long a wait for me. One year is just nice. Besides, July (I feel) would be the best time of the year to be in the UK especially when the weather is mild (20-23 deg C) and we get to enjoy the long daylight! Think about eating dinner in bright daylight! And hop over to Europe for holidays?

I am very happy to hear that Air Asia will be flying to the UK end of next year. It's great excitement for everyone. Getting to the UK can be as low as 300quid return. This will make staying alone in the UK less painful. Getting visitors once in a while can make staying there a little more colourful and act as an antidote to boredom. However, this new service can potentially increase my carbon footprint substantially too. I know I will be tempted to fly home more frequently!

Finally, I take this opportunity to thank everyone who has made my stay so meaningful this time. I particularly dedicate this to my parents who have given their consent, support and encouragement to me to take on this next step in life. Their blessings matter and mean a lot, as they do not merely show a mark of approval per se, but a great sacrifice to accept that their son may no longer be easily available whenever they need him and that reunion dinners will never be the same again.

Family

and

Friends...

1st dinner

Trip to Genting Highlands

Skytrex Adventures

Farewell seafood dinner in Banting

Farewell lunch at Sentul

10 comments:

feifeipinky said...

happy to have u back here...safe journey back to UK.
Ganbatte...continue to believe urself,k.

Anonymous said...

Aiyoyo !!!

Your story is so touching especially the last paragraph makes my tear start flowing after reading it.

Anyway, wish you all the best in your future undertakings.

Anonymous said...

Hiya,

All the best yeah!

feifeipinky said...

great pics...thanks for uploading it.
forgot to get a copy of the photos from u.

Noob Tourist said...

All the best Alden! =)

Kiki said...

Glad to hear that you have a good time back home and that you are starting a new page of your life in the UK! Yes, good luck with your new job!

T and T said...

wow, hey congratulations! this is great news! -teri

Wadi: said...

Hey Alden,

I am so sorry I could not wish you bon voyage on your departure day due to Raya. Thanks so much for your Raya morning wish. I would remember that, ever. You were the first who wished me that day (besides my family). Your UK journey as a T shape Engineer has just begun. Can't await to read your future chronicles in Reading! All of my friends send their regards to you and wish you the best as well.

Cheers
Noris

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Good Luck with your new life at Reading! Do keep in touch ya.

Anonymous said...

aruden-kun ga KL ni ita toki ni aenakute hontou ni zannen datta ne! itsu aeru ka naa, to omotte...

maa, kaigai de hataraku no kettei wo ouen surun da yo, zutto! kore kara mo ganbare zo!