Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Hidden Gem in Our Midst

Duane, the only black guy in the photo, is Jamaica's National Chess Master

I am really proud of one of my coursemates from Jamaica. He would be representing Cambridge to compete in a chess tournament against Oxford and the showdown would be held in March at the Royal Automobile's Club in London. It has created alot of excitement here. Why? Well, first of all, he's our classmate and secondly, he keeps quiet about it and I didn't even know about his credentials until he sent out an email inviting us to attend the tournament. He's so humble about his achievements!

Duane Rowe is the Jamaican champion. Okay hear this. What if I were to tell you that he played against 14 chess players simultaneously and won 12 of them?! Yes, 12 out of 14! That's just unbelievable! The two photos below show Duane in action, against 14 other chess players simultaneously.
If you ask me to play chess, I doubt I could last more than 10 steps before losing the game.


**Photos courtesy of the Cambridge University Chess Club**

2 comments:

Angel Wong said...

fuiyoh...hebat!

Andrew said...

Cool. So many Malaysian in Cambridge