Sunday, February 04, 2007

Continuing Japanese Language

Even though Japanese is no longer in use when I came here, I decided to continue learning it. I was in the Advanced class in the previous term and passed the exam and interview in December last year. So, I am continuing this term.


With a hectic schedule from my course, training for marathon, UKEC and now Japanese to juggle with, I am getting stretched thinner and thinner, if you still remember about the roti canai metaphor that I used earlier.

Learning Japanese here is all about self initiative. There are neither motivating factors to learn fast nor work hard for it. At least not the type of incentives that I get in Japan i.e the faster and more I learn, the easier I get to communicate with people. I mean, I don't even have to do it if I didn't want to! I don't have to do homework because it's not part of my module. So it's easy to be a bum here for Nihongo and not be good at it after say, 4 years of learning it. But I told myself to do it. For example, how can I learn kanji without writing it?!


I promised to work equally hard for my Japanese and at least be (a little) better than where I left off in Japan. Lest it would be a waste of the 6 months that I went through there. I certainly am grateful to the Japanese government for the Monbukagakusho scholarship and will march on with the torch to be a good citizen of their (ex) scholar.

Ganbatte kudasai ne!

8 comments:

feifeipinky said...

very neat & nice handwriting for kanji u have there. keep it up!!

Raymond said...

sou ne...boku ha nihongo mada heta taihen ureshii desu zannen ne.........

John said...

Sure you're learning Japanese??? As I see you're writing Mandarin...hehehe.

Anonymous said...

itsuka nihongo de kanzen ni renraku shiau you ni...

Raymond said...

Aruden-san motto kanji oshiete kudasai,boku ha hiragana to katakana wakaru dake!

Wadi: said...

I salute your fondness on Nihongo. I wish I could learn it here..

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

Wow! I never expected this nihongo posting would draw so many responses! I will answer all one by one

ffpk: I hope i have improved.

Raymond: When you don't use it, you tend not to learn it. I know what you mean. My kanji level is still very low. I think Japanese need to know at least 6000 kanjis to read newspapers. I know around 1200 plus i guess. So it's still very minimum. But considering I started from zero, that's my only consolation to think that I'm totally lousy.

John: Yah, that's japanese. Most of the kanjis are borrowed from Chinese. However, some of the usage may be different from Chinese, as I found out about this when I was in Japan.

ethr: Must work hard. You're right, my goal is to communicate confidently to my Jap friends and host mother! I just don't want her to think that this Nakata Aruden (my Japanese name given by my host mom) is still as hopeless as before..haha...

Noris: I don't have to wish. You just need to move yourself to do it. It's just like me, I'm actually doing it away from my comfort zone...in the midst of my packed schedule here.

feifeipinky said...

hey...within short period u can learn 1200 kanji characters is already consider fast..
hehe....nxt time i cant write in kanji to trick u liao.
hmm....try caligraphy if u hv the time since u know some kanji now...sure fun. Another type of art u might endeavour.