Wednesday, February 21, 2007

CNY in London

The Chinese are everywhere in the world. In fact their presence is so strong that almost every nook and cranny in the world has a Chinese. Someone even quipped, "Every country in the world has a Chinatown but not an English or American town; not even a Little India!"

The Chinese community in the UK has been growing ever since China opened up the economy. The increasing affluence of the Chinese and the one-child policy also meant that more parents could afford to send their children abroad for education and UK is one of those countries. No wonder this year's CNY in London is such bang!

As for me, you can take me out of Malaysia but you cannot take the Malaysia out of me. Being a true Malaysian, I certainly wanted to do something on the first day of CNY, especially that I am ethnic Chinese! So I went down to London to join in the crowd in Trafalgar Square.

The stage that was erected in front of the Nelson Column in Trafalgar Square. The Chinese altar on center stage seems rather odd as it is like showcasing a Chinese worship rather than CNY celebration.


Choy San Toh!!!

Met up with Kartini in Trafalgar Square and then proceeded to Leicester Square.

Chinatown packed with merry makers.

Even Chinese groceries enjoyed brisk business. I also took the opportunity to stock up on some Chinese ingredients since I was in Chinatown.


And finally, I wish everyone who's celebrating CNY

GONG HEI FATT CHOY!!!

4 comments:

John said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Wadi: said...

Gong Xi Fa Chai Alden. Love those red colours. Missing celebrate CNY with my friends in Malaysia though.

Keipo said...

GXFC...bro pm !!

feifeipinky said...

hey..Gong Xi Gong Xi..i like the pics u took in China town...is a different way of celebrating CNY ya.