Friday, February 02, 2007

London Marathon 2007

I have not written or spoken much about my entry into the London Marathon because I know alot of people will hate me for this.

I have heard from avid runners here and in Malaysia that they have attempted 5 times for the London Marathon ballot, but failed in each of the attempts! Meaning 5 years of trying to get into the race! That's a long wait to sign up for a run.
While I wince hearing that, I realised that I could short-circuit this (long wait) and get a Guaranteed Entry into the race via the university. As many of you marathoners may already know, the London Marathon was founded by Chris Brasher. Chris studied in St John's College, University of Cambridge. In memory of him, Cambridge gets 10 guaranteed entries every year for students who failed in the public ballot.

I did not get through the public ballot. My hopes were dashed to run in London. Another 5 years to wait? Or 7 years for a guaranteed placing? Will I be participating as a junior veteran by then? As if I don't have enough stress here...another bad news!
So, I went for the university ballot instead. Even with the university ballot, there were many marathoners. Well, at least the chance is better than a public ballot.


I guess you know where this story would lead to next.

Proudly presents...the Guaranteed Entry Form

When the results were revealed, I received a congratulatory email. I was one of the ten! Yay! So, I'm going to London in April for the marathon. Thank God for providing me this opportunity because I don't even know if I could stay that long to wait for the opportunity to arrive!

O yes, could anyone be kind enough to sponsor one new (design) Pacesetters vest for me to run in it? So that I could also "publicise" the club in the marathon...

Training regime..all systems go....

So yup...April 22nd, London here I come!

2 comments:

shirley ng said...

uh i'm not sure if i should be jealous since i don't run haha...congrats instead!

C-CUBE said...

Alden, we will send u a Saucony + Cisco partial sponsor "der PACEMAKERS" vest (to be showcase in KLIM07) to run in London Marathon.

PM1, how can we do it and send it to Alden!!!!!