Monday, April 10, 2006

STANDARD OF LIVING in JAPAN (6 April)





Living standards in Niigata is not as expensive as Tokyo or other bigger cities. Of course, you must not compare with Malaysia. I could easily have a meal at the daigakku no shokudo (university’s canteen) for ¥380 (RM 12) or outside for ¥800. I seldom eat at the shokudo unless I have anything to do in university. I have been trying a lot of good Japanese food, all introduced by the Malaysians living here. I’ve tried udon, sushi, ramen, kurimuchi jumenchi and many other types of food never eaten or heard before in Malaysia. The sushi was interesting. I was introduced to a type of semi transparent fish the size of ikan-bilis. The eyes are very obvious and it’s edible while it’s raw. Another interesting thing I found out was the ramen shop we went. To get into the shop, customers have to first choose the ramen they want from the vending machine, pay and get a ticket to redeem the bowl of ramen from the counter inside the shop. So, there’s no waiter or waitresses to take orders or “sau looi” (take the bill). Hmm, isn’t it a great way to save on the overheads….

Just a few days back they brought us to eat Italian and Chinese food after we wanted something different. Apparently, Niigata produces the best grade of Japanese rice (in Japan of course) called the Koshihikari. I’m lucky to be here and may be eating koshihikari every day. It’s like staying in Tawau or KK being able to eat fresh seafood daily.

As a sportsperson, my feet and legs get very restless when I don’t run after a long period of time. So I am now looking and asking around for a good place to jog. Apparently, everywhere here is a running place. People get up as early as 5am to run when the sun rises. I can’t do that. I only do that in Malaysia when there’s competition. I have also found an indoor heated Olympic-size swimming pool at the Nishisogo sports complex which is only 1.5km from my apartment. I have yet to check it out, but will do that soon.

The temperature has consistently been below 10C. I found the scarf and cap very useful. They do keep me warm but not the hand gloves. My hands are freezing all the time and I can hardly talk because my jaw stiffens when it’s too cold. It is further exacerbated when the wind blows. My room is still the best hideout from the cold. The heater in my room is soon going to be overworked. Apparently, it is because of the cold front from Siberia since the Sea of Japan is facing the northern hemisphere. And Siberia’s ice/snow is melting for Spring. That explains the chill. My friend, Kee, let me tried a type of heat pack to keep my hands from the cold.

No comments: