Friday, April 21, 2006

Food and me...


I have been trying different places for food. I was very fortunate to meet two more Malaysians who just came back from holidays. That night we went for sushi. The place was neat and different from that of Sushi King or Genki Sushi. Some of the pictures showed obvious presence of mobile phones all over the table because that was also the night we got our new mobile toys.

Then, every Tuesday is the great bargain day at the Uoroku, the "Tesco" of Niigata, where selected grocery go as low as 90 yen.

I bought a packet of koshihikari at 1800yen for 5kg. This is the most expensive rice I have ever bought in my life and I am sure it wouldn't be the last time since I would be here for at least 2.5 years (barring a "foreseen" circumstance). The koshihikari is really different because it is not like any other type of rice. The texture is sticky, shiny, smooth and grainy.


Yesterday I whipped out my most confident garlic salmon fried rice for Kee and Sarah. We did a small potluck ourselves after volunteer class. I am not sure how was it because they didn't come back to me with comments. Everyone was tired actually after a long day. O yes, what other place to cook this dish if not Japan and its fresh salmon and the best Japanese rice as the winning combination.


No comments: