Monday, April 17, 2006

INTERESTING JAPANESE STUFF


After the international students welcome party, we had a small gathering in Alexis’ room (a PhD student from Chile) and continued the night with an exchange of alcohol from different countries. I settled for red wine initially. Then, I ventured into Korean sake which tastes like drinking pure alcohol. I did not continue with a second glass after that.

Then I found something interesting when Konan-san (my nihongo classmate from Ivory Coast) unearthed a packet of UCC coffee from Alexis’ kitchen. It was a creative way to have coffee without the mess and extra filters. Please see the sequential shots…

The next day, we went lepak at Niigata City since it was the weekend. Niigata City is about 20 minutes from here by train. Outside train station, it was just packed with bicycles. There are so many bicycles here and people ride to the nearest train stations and continue their journey to work. There was even a baby stroller parked next to the bicycles and I was laughing all the way with Kee and Sarah, they taught I was crazy! I took pictures of it and about 10 minutes later while still waiting for Kee to finish her call, a lady with a child emerged from the station, got near us and left with the stroller with the baby in it. I was even more amused then! Hahaha….There was really someone who “park” a baby stroller along with bicycles…man… isn’t that some cool things to know!

Even though Japan is such a modern and developed country, the people are equally practical with their way of doing things. We probably could not do the same in Malaysia because of the hot weather. I find it interesting with the type of bicycles they use. The shape and size of the bicycles are neither exciting nor trendy. We probably use this type of bicycle in the 60s. But don’t play play, it’s branded ok…Bridgestone!

No comments: