Sunday, May 24, 2009

Trip to Brighton

The weather was good and the sun was strong. I just came back from a day trip to Brighton. After bathing, I am still smelling like suntan lotion! I think I have applied too much of it. I do like the smell of suntan lotion, so it's okay. I should declare this as the new fragrance for the season.

Brighton was packed today

Enforcement officers in beachwear??

I have always wanted to go to Brighton because it was highly recommended to me. Brighton to me is not a big city. I reached the place in the afternoon but managed to cover the place in less than 3 hours by foot.

Brighton to most tourist is an entertainment beachfront on the southern coast of England. The iconic Brighton Pier coins this description.
Brighton Pier
Volk's electric train, first in the world

Brighton has the bohemian atmosphere and is a well known magnet for the queer culture. It is the home of LGBT*. Being the number one gay resort in the UK, Brighton is host to one of the very few official nudist beaches in the country.
Royal Pavilion

One of the things which I dislike about Brighton is also its strength - the beach. The beach is made up of pebbles rather than sand. It was very difficult for me to walk on. The only advantge I see with this, is that nothing will come in between your foot , swimsuit or bottom ,or it will hurt like mad!
The pebble beach

It doesn't take much to cover most of the places in Brighton unless you're a shopaholic. On a glorious day like today, Brighton looks like a fantastic place for work and play. If you're a naturist, all the better!

However, the English weather is a killjoy. I can imagine Brighton to be the most dreadful place to be in, working or playing, during the winter months. It's like striking a jackpot and then realising it's just a dream. Too good for looks, too cold for play.

With the surplus of time I had, I bought a day bus pass to travel out of Brighton. I went eastwards to Eastbourne and covered a few more beachfronts. I attempted to go westwards to Shoreham but it was already too late for that. Traveling out made me discover the splendid coastal make up of the area and that Brighton is still the best.

At certain areas like Saltdean, the beachfront was plain mud. To be fair, Saltdean also offered one of the most stunning views of the surrounding cliffs. Hopping out of Brighton was an enriching experience.
Stunning view of cliffs and rock climbing spot in Saltdean

I have also discovered places for rock climbing and learn what some locals do on a good day but too cold to swim in the sea. They either walk their children, dogs, or go nude in the sun in a secluded spot at the cliffs.


*LGBT = lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender

2 comments:

Kiki said...

Brighton looks much nicer under the sun than in the rain! What a pity that it was pouring when I went there a few months ago!

§nóflèk said...

but i think the officers' beachwear looks hawt!