Sunday, May 10, 2009

Shakespearean bug

It's spring and it's good weather. I have caught the Shakespearean bug.

I was in the open day of the Shakespeare's Globe three weeks ago. The public was treated to a day of Shakespearean activities like costumes, play, exploration and appreciation of the sonnet, music, workshop, competitions as well as a chance to perform a sonnet at the Globe stage.

The Globe

At the open day a world record to have the most people reciting sonnet 29 was also attempted . Four of us who went took part in it. We were filmed in costumes.

The Silly-world record attempt

Since then I have grown to appreciate Shakespeare's works and booked tickets to see his plays at The Globe. I went to see Romeo and Juliet yesterday and liked it so much that I kept thinking of one particular sonnet.
Romeo and Juliet

This morning I woke up to the sonnet and its profound meanings that left a deep impression on me. Somehow what I remembered came out to be different from the real sonnet.

The version that I kept remembering was:

"For such great hatred has devoured your most loved possession, that love itself has killed them in the end!"

But the original was:

"See, what a scourge is laid upon your hate, that heaven finds means to kill your joys with love."

Even though the essence and the meaning didn't veer off too far, still there must be something not right with me for I want to talk in a language which is not an everyday spoken language!

Ah! For I shall seal this mouth of outrage for a while, until I clear these ambiguities, and know their spring, their head, their true descent!

1 comment:

§nóflèk said...

wow wat a coincidence. i just watched romeo and juliet at the waseda university yesterday which was being staged by the international theatre company london. didn't know there was a shakespearean thingy going on now... but of course, yours is the real deal la!