Saturday, May 23, 2009

New bike

After reading several reviews and one from Joan, I am convinced that a mountain bike will work better for me than a folding one.

Today I bought the CBR Canyon race series mountain bike. This has set me back £150 but still cheaper than its initial price tag of £250. I had a bargain. Best of all it came with a bike pump and a lock.

It wasn't easy coming to this decision. I had all the while wanted to get a new bike but riding a new bike in London is like putting a bone in front of a Rottweiler and expecting it not to be stolen.

I have heard and seen expensive bikes being stolen almost every month! The thieves here know no boundaries of whose bike to steal. Even "celebrities" like David Cameron, who's the leader of the Conservative party in the UK, had had his bike stolen twice! So what makes me any special to be immune from such risk?

So I was initially tempted to get a folding bike. After all, it was all I needed.

I could fold and stow the bike under my desk at work or put it in the trolley for groceries like what some people are doing.

After weighing the option of a folding bike, I took a look at the benefits of a bigger bike. I was tempted by the longer rides a bigger bike could do than a folding one. I have signed up as a waiting list candidate representing my company for the London-Brighton bike ride in June. And more recently I am thinking about doing the London Bikeathon as well. With these events on the horizon, I could only justify buying a bigger wheel bike.

London is a little "rough". So getting a road bike is not suitable too. That is why I have opted for anything between a hybrid and a racing mountain bike.

Even though I am not planning to do any stunt with my bike, I am confident it can take the abuse. It was made for that.

The one I bought is an aluminium beast. It comes with dual suspension and twin disc brakes, all the stuff that will protect the bike and the biker's bottom from breaking apart while riding over potholes and down steep kerbs as well as the rough treatment of others at the cycle rack.

However there are disadvantages with a bigger bike. I see it as a concern. I would now run the risk of having it stolen much easier because this means I must park my bike in the public. And because security is a concern, I would have to invest in better and bigger locks. This means more money to spend!

I hope my new bike will not be stolen too soon. I still have my old bike. She is still the old faithful and has served me well for three years now. I will not get rid of her. I'm very grateful to her and she is still beautiful in my eyes.

New and old

6 comments:

feifeipinky said...

^_^ if happen that i visit u again..then can have enough bike to tour around..hehe...if only i'm tall enough to ride those bikes..yaiks!

Anonymous said...

For peace of mind, it might be worth getting insurance. I would feel a lot better about parking my bike in public if it was insured.

I bought a lock that, if was broken by a thief, I would get up to £800 back. It's not quite insurance but pretty good, eh.

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

ffpk: sure if u come.

Joan: Thanks for the tip!

Kryptos said...

barely one month after the london marathon and now you're gonna start training for bikeathon? cool!

so far, i've been lucky enough not to have my bike stolen. (except for the time when it was "stolen" by the authorities for illegal parking =P)

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

ST: It's so much safer to ride a bike in Japan than in the UK. At least for me when I was in Niigata.;)

Kryptos said...

ooookay, i guess that's why unlike in japan, people wear helmets when riding a bicycle in uk?