Sunday, April 05, 2009

Culmination of Marathon Training

Today marks the apex of my marathon training. London Marathon is 3 weeks from today.

I decided to do a full marathon even though I was slated to run 35km only.

Coincidentally Bettina organised a lunch with a few of us in London. She was enroute to Dublin from Malaysia.

If I ran lesser than I was supposed to, I wouldn't fulfill the mileage for the week. I didn't want to do it again next week. Mileage should taper off 3 weeks prior to the race.

If I didn't turn up for the lunch, I wouldn't meet Bettina for a very long time from now. I was torn between two events.

I decided to do both. I started my run at 11am. I gave myself 4 hours to finish the run. I promised to meet them by 3pm. I have planned to end my run at the restaurant.

When I reached Gloucester Place where I thought the lunch was, I was at the wrong place! I meant to meet them in Gloucester Road and not Gloucester Place! Both places though sounded alike, were 5km apart!

Finally I met my friends at the Royal Albert Hall area. I was able to bid farewell to Bettina before she left 10mins later.

I was really cutting it thin this time. I would have died had I ran any further. I was too exhausted, dehydrated and anxious. The powergel I took earlier was not meant to last me the extra miles. I nearly hit the wall.

Now I am not surprised why I felt my stamina was thinning away. I was mapping my run awhile ago and found that I have "accidentally" overshot the distance I meant to run by 4.5km! I have completed 46.75km. Time was 4 hours 32mins.

6 comments:

Fiona1 said...

Should have told me if u needed a temp refill station - you're gonna run urself to the ground man.
Next time tell me ETA and check point and I'll be there

feifeipinky said...

good timing! eh...if u continue train like that ah, u can do ultra-marathon at Sundown S'pore next time..haha.
but jokes aside..do listen to ur body system & knee joints. One pack of power gel for that distance, aiyo!
Good luck on London Marathon.

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

Fiona: Thanks for your offer. I prefer we run to Greenwich/Hampstead Heath one day!

ffpk: not one, two powergels. still it was cutting it thin for 42k. 47k was over the top

Jamie Pang said...

Rock London ya?

zafi said...

i wish i could run like you Alden.
Now start to do walk around town... hahahha Best of luck bro!

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

Carboman: Going to enjoy the race. I remember it was fun!;)

Zafi: Hope to see you soon in London. singgahlah kejap kalau ada masa.