Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Go-Karting

With only four days to the Marathon, I took the risk to go-karting.

A colleague quipped, "You're not going to kill yourself before you do the run this Sunday, are you?!" If anything, the comment has made me more conscious of my own safety.

However, this didn't deter me from joining 35 others for the driving competition. It was a social event organised by one of our Project suppliers.

The drivers

My experience of go-karting came from two places - Genting Highlands and Disneyland. If you've done any of them, you'd agree that they are both rubbish because they are for kids!

Today's go-karting was real. The cars provided were powerful machines! The event came with a full health and safety briefing and an attire check prior to the race. The go-karts could go up to 70kph. They could kill but they probably can't in this place.
Electric go-karts

Being silly

The go-karts were electric go-karts. So they were little Prius-es and were extremely quiet!

Imagine go-kart without the revs. My go-kart was a good performer. Maybe my weight played a part. The car took corners really well except an occasion when another car clipped me and both of us spun like an action movie scene!

The inertia nearly ripped me out of my seat and my heart felt like it was swinging out of my chest! If only I could learn Physics this way when I was 18, it would have been so much more interesting!

Other than that, go-karting is far safer than I thought. It's almost like doing the one in Genting or Disneyland, except that this is much faster and more serious. Every lap is timed and scored.

We had seven teams - four members in each. Of the seven, we came in third in the race! Yes, it was a podium finishing! Yay!
Podium finishing

No comments: