Monday, April 13, 2009

Trip to Cinque Terre

I went to Italy over Easter break and explored Genoa, La Spezia, Pisa and Florence - northern Italy.

This is the first time I did not celebrate the Easter Triduum that I usually would in a Church. I wish you who are celebrating this day a Happy Easter!

I flew into Genoa and took a train to La Spezia. There are two highlights in La Spezia - Porto Venere and Cinque Terre. They are located on the other northern end of the Mediterranean sea.

Porto Venere in La Spezia

Porto Venere and Cinque Terre are both UNESCO World Heritage sites. I found out about Porto Venere when I arrived into La Spezia by studying the local map.

However, the main reason I went to La Spezia was to set base to Cinque Terre, which was the highlight of the trip.

Since it was a long holiday weekend in Europe, Cinque Terre was crowded. The platform from La Spezia was almost at a gridlock!

The temperature was beautiful though, around 20ish by mid-day and sunny all day!

La Spezia station - passengers to Cinque Terre

Cinque Terre in Italian means "five villages". Yes, there are five villages to explore. I took the 15-km hiking route to the villages. I started from the south point at Riomaggiore to Monterosso.

Unlike running, I finished Cinque Terre in more than 6 hours! I could have ran more than a marathon with 6 hours!

Cinque Terre is different from the other holiday destinations I've been to so far. Buildings along the steep coastline gave me the impression that people in Cinque Terre are living on a harbinger of a disaster. But these are the very breathtaking sights that captivate people and the camera!

Photos of Cinque Terre...

Riomaggiore - Village no.1

Via della'more (Lovers Lane)

Route to the next village

Some track condition


Manarola- Village no.2

Distance between villages

Corniglia - Village no.3

In Corniglia

Tapped spring water

Vernazza - Village no.4

In Vernazza

Monterosso - Village no.5

In Monterosso

4 comments:

feifeipinky said...

waoh! really beautiful scene...makes me oso wanted to visit the place! ^_^

Kiki said...

Yes, the scenery is marvellous!!!

zafi said...

absolutely "a must" destination to go!

feifeipinky said...

More photos coming up??? ;p