Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Like Travelling? Just kill a cow

What I do remember of Owen when he was in Malaysia, was that he once suggested, "Worried about carbon footprint? Just kill a cow."

I was quite amused by the statement at first but after he explained the report that he read, I have gotten on pretty well using it on many occasions to justify my case to travel. I have even used it on people who tried to "pick a fight" (read vilify) on my air travels. Apparently the wind and manure emitted by cows, methane gas, warms the world 20 times faster than carbon dioxide.

Today a colleague who just came back from Australia and an extensive travel to India and Thailand told me how guilty he felt with his carbon footprint. He even calculated and told me the number of trees he had to plant this year!

At an instance, I introduced to him my favourite defence statement, "Forget it Don! Just kill a cow!"

I realised I generated a few blank stares at me. A few heads popped up behind the partition. I thought I made an unpopular suggestion.

Don asked, "What?! Did you say "a cow"?". He continued laughing, as if it was some weird Asian joke or something.

"Yes, that's what I just said...a cow! You could probably do another round trip to Australia with the sacrificial cow!"

Don quipped, "Now that's a lot of steak I have to eat in a year! It's still much easier than planting trees, isn't it?"

I paused and replied, "Err...actually I didn't think of eating it. I thought of pushing it off a ravine."
It's amazing what you can find on the internet nowadays. I tried my luck on the keywords "falling cow" and I found this

No comments: