Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Shrove Tuesday

Last year, my block mates made pancakes for me during Shrove Tuesday. It was also known as the Pancake Day. Today is Shrove Tuesday again. This marks another year of celebrating this occasion and Ash Wednesday in this country.

This year, I took the initiative to make pancakes instead. I have bought flour and other ingredients during the weekend, so I made banana-filled pancakes with honey. I told one of my housemates that if he wasn't offered a pancake, it's because I have messed up. I have intended to use soymilk instead of milk to make the batter. So I wouldn't know if it would turn out well. I thought it was a healthier alternative anyway.
My first trial piece tasted alright. There wasn't even a faint taste of soymilk in the pancake! I was surprised actually. Then I went on to make seven pieces with a bowl of batter. I offered to two of my housemates and asked if they could guess the ingredients I put in the batter. Two of them guessed milk. I am now confident with the soymilk alternative.

After this, marks the beginning of Lent...

Shouldn't have taken photos with the phone. The colour is just hideous!

3 comments:

jerald pince said...

at first i scrolled down just to get a glimpse of the blog.

And i stupidly thought that the 2nd pic in this post are Squids.

Ok maybe next time i shud read first.

Anonymous said...

Hmm looks good. I always love pancakes. You have to post more of your cooking endevours!
-Teri

Wadi: said...

Alden, make one for me during my next trip will you? by the way, Happy Chinese New Year!

Cheers