Monday, January 28, 2008

Broken Sleep

My sleep was broken at 2am when my Malaysian phone rang this morning. It was a Malaysian number as well. I wouldn't usually get a call at this hour especially from people who know me.

There were only three possibilities; an emergency, a prank call or a wrong number. It was none of them this time.

"Hello? Is this Mr Yap?"

"Yea." I answered as if I was really awake.

"Hi I am Philip. Someone recommended me to call you. I'm currently recruiting for a Japanese firm for a project in Singapore. Heard of Kougyou-no-Kaisha (not the real name)?"

Still controlling myself from blurting out profanities, I mustered all my energy to sound really enthusiastic and erm..polite, "Oh yea, of course." I am glad I was conscious enough and not ask where the heck was Singapore!

"Can I get you to come for an interview?"

"Sorry, but I am already working in the UK."

"Oh..that means you're in the UK now?"

"Yes, and it's 2am now"

I guess this bloke had no sense of time or an idea of 2am so he continued, "Oh..2am..ermm..but would you be interested to explore the option of working in Singapore? We can negotiate."

I would have thought he'd give up and bid goodbye when I told him I've already gotten a job. He was persistent and then continued, "What if we can do a phone interview? If we're happy with it, we can fly you over here to discuss further.."

At this point, I was really crossed. I breathed a loud sigh over the phone and said, "Look, it's 2am now. That's two hours after midnight, not noon. I would appreciate it if we can discuss this 5 hours from now. I can call you if you want."

I had no qualms for sounding out rude. I guess he finally obliged.

After hanging up the call, my unconscious mind suddenly screamed out a word which I haven't used for a long long time..."Really CELAKA!!!"

4 comments:

Kiki said...

Oh, how come you always got so many job opportunities around you?

Raymond said...

...he is such an asset to lotsa ppl Kiki!

Bloody come back here n work in spore!!!

SinLoong 欣伦 said...

wow hot cake!

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

kiki: you'll be the same too if you're in a country where construction is thriving.

raymond: nothing to look fwd to wor..

sin loong: no la, now the construction industry is in short supply of construction engineers. many engineers have left the country to go to middle east, where the pay is better and best of all, it's tax-free!