Friday, September 14, 2007

Ouch!..ermmm...and Ouch again!

I came back with an ambitious plan to do 1001 things. Things which I intended to do when I was back in May but never gotten near the startline because of my research then.

This time, I come back with a "vengeance", hoping to tick-off at least 80% of the things in the checklist in two weeks after my return. Ambitious...

To start off, I went shopping in a recent sales. I bought office and outdoor attires. I think I could have a new wardrobe by the time I start work. It's really nice stretching the ringgit with £. £1 is equivalent to RM7 and the cost of replacing the wardrobe came up at less than £80! I can only buy 5 shirts with that money in the UK. Because I am not having an income (don't forget I am still jobless), it will still hurt the pocket a little. When it comes to this, I can't wait for my first salary!

Next, I went for a traditional massage. I meant to go for this particular massage, by "Sakai Por" since I took up marathons in Malaysia. I never had the opportunity to do that until now. Sakai Por literally means Aunt Sakai and Sakai is an indigenous tribe in Malaysia. Sakai Por practiced traditional massage for ages and I was recommended to this place by avid marathon runners. I went with five of them. The massage was a painful experience. The pain comes through the massage as Sakai Por massages the pockets of "air" out of the nerve points, usually at the legs and back of the body. I just couldn't help but wince in pain whenever she finds the "air pockets" and tries to get them out of circulation. Those who have little control over themselves cry out like being assaulted or they can be worse by "kicking-off" Sakai Por's grasp of the limb. The antics are funny to waiting customers but the one being massaged can find this a terrifying experience! Actually, it was not ouch!!! It was aaaaahhhhhh!!! most of the time. After the massage, I felt great. The body was like a tuned up engine. I felt like I could take on a bull or something.


Aaahhh!!! Slowly! That's painful!! That's not Sakai Por in the picture but her husband. He uses more strength and is less "forgiving" to the air pockets in the body.


Now take off that shirt and let me see if you have air bubbles in your back! I felt as if my shoulder bone has broken apart or something!

This morning, I went to the dentist to remove two wisdom teeth - the top and bottom right side of the mouth. As if Sakai Por's pain wasn't good enough to serve as a grim reminder, I woke up early this morning to prepare myself for another dose of pain. I went for a laser treatment, so both teeth only took an hour to be extracted. That was quick! Previously, it took almost 2 hours for one to be removed! Of course, anything to do with laser will cost a bomb. It cost me RM1000 (£150) to remove two teeth! Ouch! But I thought it was well worth the money spent because the laser treatment not only took half the time to remove the teeth but also cut more than half the time to heal! It will only take 5 days before the stitches can be removed as compared to a month previously. If there's any premium, I certainly know that premium was to buy time and cut short the torture of pain. I can't imagine having to live in pain for a month and foregoing my favourite Malaysian food or the plethora of food that will only be featured at the current Ramadhan month. No, no, no....no more pain....enough is enough!!!

One of the wisdom teeth. The doctor said, "You have tough teeth!"I thought he meant I had a stubborn tooth, just like myself! I told him, "Can I keep my tough tooth then?". He laughed and said, "Of course! Keep it, it's pretty unique too. That's a 3-root tooth.". I don't know if he meant that to be the unique feature or the tough tooth. Anyway, now I have a spare part.

1 comment:

joanium said...

I've been doing the same things as you, Yap, back in Australia. I too have been shopping for new work clothes (and enjoying the conversion back to Australian $$) and visiting the dentist!

I will probably have a London home when I get back so you are welcome to crash on the floor.