Monday, September 03, 2007

"Faired-well" story of Anne

Our block cleaner, Anne, has been marvellous in doing her job. Even though it's not her job to wash up dirty cutleries, bowls and plates left by the irresponsible few, she will just wash them anyway. Sometimes she would just sigh when we meet, looking at the dirty cooking wares piled up at the sink. My next trip up the kitchen, they're all washed! At times, I felt Anne has spoilt the rascal(s) in my block and let them get away with it; while I have to do my own washing!

I could hardly find good stories from my friends about their cleaners. **Maybe they have better things to talk about!** Or more accurately, stories of good cleaners. They either lament and hope that their cleaners do at least the minimum to make their presence felt or they just quip: "the college should pay me instead to do a better job!"

Today I broke the news to Anne that I would be leaving this week. Then I went into my room, took one of the pewter wares which I bought from Malaysia and handed it to her. I explained to her about the ware and its significance. I thanked her for cleaning my room everyday and making sure the rubbish bin was always empty by afternoon. Anne's face was beaming. You can easily tell when a grandmother is touched. The lines on her forehead showed (O yes, Anne is a grandmother of two).

Then I closed the door while Anne continued vacuuming the corridor. After a while, I could hear Anne blowing her nose regularly at unusual intervals. I was tempted to open the door to check if she was okay but I didn't. I thought she was touched by my gestures. Then I thought maybe not. It must have been the dust from the vacuum cleaner.

P/S: I hope this article is picked up by the cleaning service company and make Anne, Employee of the Year! She deserves a pay rise!!!!

No comments: