Friday, December 01, 2006

Varsity March Against Oxford


Donning a thicker top to prevent the cold torture and the authentic face paint!


It was Saturday, it was my birthday, it was also the Varsity Match against Oxford (Oxon). Could lady luck shine on me? I wished...


Joe and Ulrich, both ran for Wolfson College. Ulrich finished 2nd while Joe 6th.

The day started on a fine note. It was bright and sunny. But as we reached the meeting point at Wilberforce Sports Ground, the sky started to turn dark.



The invasion of dark clouds!

The clouds were coming and I was telling Ulrich (another Wolfson runner) if it was gonna pour! It looked it was going to be the perfect storm! Bloody hell, it better not rain! But it rained anyway. I don't know if I should be happy about it. Apparently, it gets less cold after a pour. So, it makes running less torturing. Anyway, as soon as we reached Wandlebury, the rain stopped and the temperature was perfect to start the race. Just in time.



Well, to cut the long story short, I ran against Oxon and had a hideous performance. I finished on the bottom of the pile. I was 2nd last. Gosh, I never meant to document it in this blog but I was also proud about it. Because when I did the Chris Brasher run the week before, my finishing time was 48 minutes, and I was 10th spot from the bottom. Then in this match, I finished 45 minutes but I was 2nd spot from the bottom.


I never knew what it was like to be cheered as the last runner crossing the finishing line until I was cheered myself...hahahaha!!!

In fact I was amused. I felt that I could not have achieved that time in Malaysia, especially when it was not a road race but a big plot of green land race with lots of sheep faeces and damp soil (due to the pour). There was no way I could outrun Oxon or Cantab. Not in this life. They were just too strong. It's like asking you to run with the likes of Lil' Khoo or Iwata or Uncle Don in the entire race! Maybe I am abit/very muka-tebal, but I am kinda proud of my new timing actually and the 2nd spot from the bottom that I have earned is a befitting gift for my birthday too. To know more about the timings, do visit:

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/cuhh/competition/resultsarchive/20062007/iiivresults.php

4 comments:

John said...

Well done! Personally I have not been clocking such a fast pace for a long long time.

feifeipinky said...

y r u wearing a pair of hand gloves while running????? ;p

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

my hands get cold very easily. it was already freezing even with the gloves...

Raymond said...

U represent Cambridge Uni?
Wonder hows the feeling running in sub zero conditions,anyway u did great though 2 rungs from the bottom