Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas in the UK

The once thriving and busy Market Square suddenly became lifeless

I came back from Europe on 23rd because I just wanted to be in the UK for Christmas eventhough everything is closed on the 25th and 26th. Cambridge turned into a ghost town; could hardly see anyone on the streets. It is cold and empty.



Alo! Alo! Anyoneeeee??!!!


So you may be asking what have I been doing in such a lonely Christmas. Remember I have 3 assignments. The 2-week break is also the best time for students to catch up with some work and friends. The rest of the students in my course went home. For me, there was a little bit of travelling and blogging; as you may have noticed from the myriad of articles that I put up in these few days.



Winson drove us down to London on Christmas Eve to meet up with his other Malaysian friends. Most of them were former Cantab students and now working in London. So, they invited him for a pow-wow and dinner and I tagged along. Perhaps we were some of the Malaysians who are "stranded" in the UK for Christmas and it was a great opportunity to meet up then. There was no congestion charge in London and parking was free. So what better time to drive into London than Christmas! London was also very quiet but not as dead as Cambridge.


We had stuffed roast duck instead of turkey because Marks & Spencers ran out of turkey! Hahaha! Then we had roast salmon, wine, Jamie Oliver's style courgette, roast potatos with rosemary leaves, carrots, brownies, beer, and Christmas pudding with ice-cream. We were so stuffed that night! My goodness, my buffet king title was put to the test but I was okay.


We continued the night with a game of mahjong. So it looked more like a CNY gathering than a Christmas Eve party. I didn't play cause I am mahjong illiterate. But I did catch up with a Christmas movie from the satellite TV. They were showing Van Helsing that night. Before that was the Christmas carol from King's College, Cambridge, broadcasted live over BBC. Ironically I watched it in London.

London's transport system is down and there are no services on Christmas. So, anyone of you in Malaysia who are thinking of Christmas in the UK, it's better to do it back home. At least you have family and friends around. If I happen to be still here next year, I'd definitely book a flight home for Christmas. Now I know why so many Malaysians go back around this time.


I went to church early in the morning of Christmas Day. I was surprised that the church was packed! I didn't go to Fisher House because they only had the Christmas Eve vigil mass. So, I went to the Church of Our Lady and English Martyrs, the main Roman Catholic Church/ Cathedral of Cambridge which was just a few roads away from Wolfson College.


After that I proceeded for a traditional Christmas lunch at the St Andrew The Great Church, in the heart of Cambridge. Got to know about it few weeks back from the Christian Society here. The Church offers the traditional lunch for Cantab students who are "stranded" in the university. Therefore, most of us who attended were foreign students and a great majority were from China.

Traditional Christmas lunch means that there was turkey, pudding, courgette, potatos, mince pies, minced meat, and lots of other stuff which I have never tried before.

Sat with two other Singaporeans and a Chinese student. I guess I was the only Malaysian around...hahahaha...

Would also like to take this opportunity to wish Jesus a Happy Birthday and thank You for a fantastic and great year! Without Him, all things that happened to me this year would have been impossible to say the least....

And to everyone reading this, Merry Christmas and a Happy, Happy, Happy New Year! I miss all of you and may we meet again....soon, I hope!

22 comments:

shirley ng said...

brendan beebee: may we meet again? may? unkie alden must come home ah next year!

feifeipinky said...

hahaha...shirley..cant tahan u..

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

if brendan baby can say that...i will surely come home! ;)

shirley ng said...

by next year he will surely be babbling. then you'll go... aww... so Q! i wish i have my own brood! but then again, got skype, sigh technology does ruin some things.

Raymond said...

U hv been living a lavish lifestlye recently huh;study abroad,visit dream places,fine dined,meet interesting people...what else?Me so envy now :-)

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

the not-so-nice things were not documented in the blog

shirley ng said...

for e.g.?

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

maybe in the coming articles...

Wadi: said...

Hey Bro,

Nice pictures and places. Hope to be able to visiting there soon! Thanks for the quick companionship in London.

Cheers

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

Don't mention it bro!

Anonymous said...

Hey!! You can speak to them in mandarin with them!!

Raymond said...

AKEMASHITE OMEDETOO GOZAIMASU!

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

ひろさん!本当にびっくりした。今アメリカにいるのかな。季節どうですか?ケンブリッジ大学は雪がまだ降っていないですけど、もう一ヶ月ぐらい振っているかもしらないよ。アメリカで勉強する楽しんで下さい。私もここに頑張ります。実は日本には懐かしすぎる。時間があったら、Blog によく来て見て下さい。じゃまた!

feifeipinky said...

yaiks! only those who knows nihongo understand what u wrote... ;p

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

Meant for Hirot-san...my Japanese friend from Niigata.

feifeipinky said...

waoh! new look on ur blog.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I am Hirot, Japanese. Nice to meet you, Guys, esp feifeipinky-San (-San means Mr/Ms-, I am sorry but I don't recognize your gender...).
I am still WA, USA. Here, it's already got snowed since Norv. To tell the truth, I've been visiting many times since you informed this blog to me!
I've also missed for long time...
The 2007 winter quarter of my school starts 3rd Jan,,, soon.
We should meet again in near future, when we are free.
See Ya, Guys!! Thanks for welcoming me!!

Anonymous said...

I am Hirot, Japanese. Nice to meet you, Guys, esp feifeipinky-San (-San means Mr/Ms-, I am sorry but I don't recognize your gender...).
I am still WA, USA. Here, it's already got snowed since Norv. To tell the truth, I've been visiting many times since you informed this blog to me!
I've also missed for long time...
The 2007 winter quarter of my school starts 3rd Jan,,, soon.
We should meet again in near future, when we are free.
See Ya, Guys!! Thanks for welcoming me!!

feifeipinky said...

haha...i'm a female la..guys dont named themselves feifeipinky coz too girlish to them...nway, alden's the host in this blog...should thank him for bringing many frens together from diff parts of the world.

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

I just remembered that both feifeipinky and Hirot-san have met before in Niigata. If you remember the time when we were eating the cold soba near Takadaiso and I asked my Japanese friend which soba to recommend, that guy was Hirot-san

feifeipinky said...

haha..ic...what a small world.