Saturday, December 02, 2006

My birthday in UK

As the days were getting nearer to 25th, I was not any more excited than previous years. Deadlines and assignments were getting to me and the fact that my birthday would be a quiet one added to the nervousness. The friends whom I made, well, the friendship hasn't matured to the level where we exchange personal stuff like birth dates and all. So, it was kind of a no-brainer that I shouldn't be expecting anything fanciful; even a simple meal by myself in the kitchen and a slice of cake from Fitzbillies would have been delightful.


Just as I have settled for something less, many things came out on 25th. God must have intervened. There was an early Christmas party and the varsity match against Oxford. Out of this, my family and Malaysian friends emerged to be the most wonderful source of joy and happiness. Birthday cards, personal phone calls, e-cards, emails and all came pouring in and that cheered me alot.


I was fully bloated that night with great food from all over the world. Desserts nearly killed me. The drinks must have been spiked with 200% alcohol or something and that the people must have thought that the house was giving away gold for free or something. It was packed to the doorstep!

Though no one knew about my birthday that night, I did not feel intimidated. Why would I, c'mon? In fact I felt really nice to engage in the festive mood with people chatting away, talking about their life in Cambridge and aspirations. Different people from different parts of the world. Fine people, really great to be with. The night went on with more drinks and desserts. The cheese and chocolate cakes never stopped coming out of the oven and fridge. It was freshly baked and I just couldn't resist having a few slices of the plethora of cakes on the table. I think I ended up having 4 slices of different types of cakes. I nearly exploded myself in the hall.


Then, there was a talk about the meaning of Christmas. People were in rapt attention when the speaker engaged everyone into the idea Christmas, how does the world celebrate it, what is the real Christmas etc.

In the end, what I thought could be the worst birthdays of my life turned out to be something I could not wait to blog about....

3 comments:

Wadi: said...

Dear Alden,

Happy Belated Birthday! Should have wished you earlier.

Cheers

Noris

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

no problem. nobody knew my bday kat sini...

feifeipinky said...

hehe...cakes do u good! eat more! if i'm there,i'll definately gain more weight with those delicious desserts & cakes & what more...christmas pudding & chocolates.. ;p