Sunday, November 19, 2006

PACM member runs in Cambridge and ermm....

Trophy at stake. The Chris Brasher run started since 1949.

Yesterday was my first race in Wandlebury, south-east of Cambridge. I was one of the 8 who represented for my college. The race was organised by the Cambridge University Hare and Hounds (CUH &H). If the words "Hare" and "Hounds" have made you think about the Hash House Harriers (HHH), don't worry, I thought the same too initially. But it's a running club in Cantab, just like our Pacesetters Athletic Club Malaysia.


Race registration

It was the Chris Brasher 10k Run (actual 6.3miles or 10.13km). I came back with pride and confidence partially bruised. I am still trying to recuperate emotionally (as if...) from the hideous and humiliating finish of my first race in Cambridge. Considering the distance was more than 10k, my timing was still consistent despite a 2-month hiatus in training. I finished 48minutes and 49 seconds based on actual timing (and 49:44 on published time), with an embarassing position of 72 (out of 83) in the Men's category. Details on http://www.srcf.ucam.org/cuhh/competition/resultsarchive/20062007/cuppersresults.php



The start line. Race was held at the Wandlebury Park, about 10 km south-east of Cambridge.

Coming out in the sub-50minute category, I didn't think the timing was that despicable to say the least in the Malaysian context, but in Cambridge, competition has proven to be too much for that timing to be anywhere near "respectable". The fastest was at 32minutes, 29 seconds.


Running a 10k race with the Singapore Marathon vest...

O well, for you 4D-number buffs, my race number was 578 (or you can bet on 0578)....in case you have a vested interest to read on.


One of the track and field facilities for speed-work training, located at Wilberforce Road.

The Chris Brasher run was also a prelude to nominate cuppers (rookies) to compete in the bigger competition between Cambridge and Oxford University later on.


But who is Chris Brasher? Why named a run after his name? Chris Brasher was the co-founder of the London Marathon in 1981. Chris won an Olympic gold medal for the 3000m steeplechase in 1956 . He was also a student at St. John's College, University of Cambridge. Chris passed away in 2003, at the age of 74. Because of his immense contributions to the running history of the UK, his affiliation to the university and in commemoration of him, having a run after his name was only logical.

Clear sky, sunny day, but bloody cold...


Yesterday's race was held in good weather. It's autumn, it was sunny but cold....bloody cold. I suspect the temperature was below 10 deg C. There were frost on the ground and there were also lots of sheep faeces! When the race started, I paced myself accordingly, but after 6 minutes, I could hardly breathe. The weather was just too cold for me! I was wearing a vest and a pair of shorts. I slowed down but the people were like rampaging bulls. I had no choice but to keep up. I was already at the bottom pile of the race. Then, the sight of people kept moving farther and farther away. I lost sight of the last runner ahead of me within 5 minutes. But I was not the last. That was the only consolation I guess.

I clocked my first 2k at 10minutes 05 seconds. Again, this time has proven to be too slow to catch up with the rest. I didn't know what else to do, so I kept to my pace and hoped that the race would finish soon. When I crossed the finishing line, it was a great relief! My leg muscles were aching and the sole of my shoes was creamed with sheep faeces. Yuccks! Haha....

The team from Wolfson College. The two Asians whom you see in the picture; the first guy is from Japan and I'm the other Asian. Still faithful to the Pacesetters running club, man!

Anyway, Wolfson College finished with an overall 3rd. First and second were taken by Jesus and Queen's College.

So, would I go again for another race under CUH&H? Errmm, yes, because training with them would only improve my timing further. But that is also assuming that I have time to do that....

P/S: Can someone tell Ronnie See (PM1) to do something about my PM score? I am way behind man!

9 comments:

Wadi: said...

hey,

It's cool to see that you maintain your timing despite of the weather's condition. Proud of you flying the Malaysian flag. The rank does not matter as long as you have the strong spirit. How I wish Strathclyde has this kind of open competition, but not this one. Probably, a cooking competition :).. lol

Cheers

Noris

Raymond said...

hey well done man!48min 10k for someone havent run for ages is something!
Spore marathon just 2 weeks away hehe

shirley ng said...

my goodness! how tall are those guys? i feel like a she-dwarf...

feifeipinky said...

hahaha...i salute u & those who has taken part despite extreme cold weather...if i were u, i might hv already turned to a live frosty snowlady...hahaha

Jamie Pang said...

good timing! keep it going else you'll freeze your nuts!

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

yes! i made it into Team4 (rookie) to run with Oxford next week!

KC & the Sunshine Runners said...

Hi Alden,

Yeah, the yellow Pacesetters T-shirt is easily recognizable.

Thanks for showing the photos.

Keep it up.

regards,
KC :-)

Raymond said...

HAPPY 28TH BIRTHDAY my dear friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Woohoooooooooooooooooo.....ur so old!

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

omg! i'll be in the veterans' soon...