Friday, November 03, 2006

Jalan-jalan and Raya in London

So, I have been complaining about the lack of time and packed study schedule and what am I doing in London then??!! Well, for fun.

I can't be always sticking my bottom onto the chair, stare at the books (notice I used the word "stare" and not read) and not treat myself to some fun. Last week's Saturday, all things have to take a back seat and I was going to unwind in London with the other Chevening scholars no matter what was coming up for the week. Noris, Aeni and Fairuz came all the way from Glasgow, Scotland, en route to our compatriot's Raya open house in Turnpike Lane, London. How small could the world be? Very small. Aeni Hashim is actually Diana Hashim's younger sister! And Diana Hashim happened to be my ex-colleague who handled the Gamuda scholarship, from the HR Dept.


Me, Fairuz and Aeni at the Big Ben

This shot is to affirm that I have put on some pounds on my cheek. With the lack of exercise and falling temperature, one can't stop eating and hibernating in the room. Let me assure you, I could have gone much chubbier by now if not for the "regulating" activities in Cambridge. Well, I have to cycle for lectures every day, so it's kinda good exercise.
Noris, me, Aeni and Fairuz

Our London walkaround, one day prior to meeting Shahnaz for the Raya Open house. I was quite crossed with the way people take photos for us. They either crop the top of the Tower Bridge or the side of the bridge. This is the best group shot that I could get. The best shot should feature the flag of England on the left tower. O well, I can't complain much since I didn't have a tripod with me and that people actually did us a favour.

This is the Victorial Memorial and the background of Buckingham Palace. Apparently, the Queen was out for dinner, so we left for other places. This is my second time visiting the palace. The first was in 2004.


Wellington Arch, looking majestic at night. Trust me when I tell you that this shot was taken at 6.30pm. Yes, sunset time is as early as 4.30pm now. It's as dark as Malaysia's 8pm by quarter to 5. So, it's abit daunting at times when you feel like doing some grocery shopping and have to start putting on the lights, wearing thicker clothings etc. If you really want to travel in the UK, don't come around this time, because you get less daylight. If you are not an avid photographer, then don't bother about it.


I didn't want to inundate this section with too many touristy places. I think you could see them in my Yahoo photos. This is Portebello Market, located somewhere in or near Notting Hill. It's a lovely place for a stroll. It's like a flea market selling antiques and collectors' items.

Some of the cool items found in the Portebello Market. I will definitely come back to this place when I have my wallet loaded next time. There are so much to see and buy. And all of these items are really one of a kind, and could never be found in our average pasar malam in SS2. Am not sure for the next 2 years....


Again, how much smaller could the world be? I was staying at the Malaysia Hall and took a shared bedroom. To my surprise, my roommate was Adam Sharif! Adam was last year's Shell Centenary Chevening scholarship recipient. He was one of two Malaysians who was awarded the scholarship to study Economics in Cambridge. He's a member of Girton College. A mere coincidence that we met in such a time and place. I have only "read" about him in the Shell Scholarship website (http://www.shellscholar.org/students/cambridge.html), so meeting him in person was amazing. Already such low probability. I mean, what are the chances man....


Finally, this is Shahnaz's place for the Raya Open House. We had daging rendang, ketupat, kuih muih, cookies, and a great time! Kartini (the one in green) is currently studying in the University of London. She was one of the hosts for the 3R programme in Malaysia. Kartini has also put up a blog in the Hot FM radio station where she is attached to at: http://www.hotfm.com.my/tini_uk.asp

The one in red is Sue Anne who studied in Cambridge before continuing her Masters in LSE. The rest of us need no more introduction. All of them are this year's Chevening scholars.

A video snippet of the group's interaction after the Raya Open house:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzWsDW_VpKA

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Alden,

Love those pictures you posted. You do have the natural flair of a photographer, like Sue Anne :)

I can't wait to visit you in Cambridge! :)

Cheers

Noris

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

My photography skill is nowhere as good as Sue Anne's. But I do like to capture abstract moments and look into new ways of capturing them. It's just a hobby with my unfanciful camera. Am looking forward to exploring Cambridge with you.