Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Week Leading to Halloween

Halloween seems to be a big thing here even though pockets of people opposed to the idea, saying that it is an American culture. I mean, American or English, c'mon it's all in good fun! My blockmate, Ulrich (pronounced as ul-reek) from South Africa joined in the bandwagon to make the Halloween weekend a blast. He prepared himself a pumpkin costume.


Ulrich is also a runner (look at the background of his room). He runs for the college and he does like 10km in 40minutes! He's fast! Both of us signed up for the ballot for London Marathon 2007. Hope I could get it. He's reading his PhD here under the Commonwealth Scholarship, wow! Now, he wants to be a pumpkin, hahaha! I wasn't able to participate in the Halloween party which Wolfson College is known for, because I was also engaged at another function; a welcome reception at Hedingham Castle, Essex the same night.


This is Chikara Hirai from Japan Rail. He did a presentation on the company's train systems punctuality model for Cambridge students. It was done in English. Yes! Finally, I get a Japanese presentation in English! The reason I put this slide along with the Halloween section was because he presented on the same day as the Halloween weekend, and coincidentally I have already been "haunted" by all things Japanese. Everywhere I turn in Cambridge, I bump into Japanese things, lectures at times used Japan as a reference and that I have been meeting alot of Japanese almost every week. You can say I have become extra conscious of the Japanese presence since I came here, or it's really the "haunting" for a trick or treat....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Alden,

It's another coincidence about Japan. Sometimes, I wonder on the things you have gone through or are facing, is merely like a recollection of bit by bit memories in life. You know, like Japan (where I love Kyoto and Tokyo ! and it happened that you were there as well), Shell Centenary Scholarship (where you met Adam at the Malaysian Hall) and it happened that Adam knew Aeni's brother and you know Aeni's sister :) What a small world, and it's the Malaysian's connection that make us sit and rethink :)



Cheers

Noris

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

very true. call it takdir or destiny, the older i get, the stronger is my faith in God and His existence. There can't be so many coincidences happening in a short span of less than one month. We are like in a matrix of things, a complicated web of human network...