Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Week and Month That Were....

I have successfully survived UK for more than a month. I quietly sat back and looked at myself and asked, what I initially thought about this place, how I still think about this place and what I missed about Japan.


1. I am still trying to understand the erratic weather pattern here.

2. It's an English-speaking environment, I like it!


3. Things are not as fast as Japan, I sort of prefer the faster pace of things there.

4. Courtesy....I won't comment about what I'm experiencing here but Japan is definitely a country worth commending for their courtesy, politeness and tolerance. I missed all that. I missed all the smiles and high-pitch voice of the Japanese ladies customer service officers!

5. Cycling here is extremely dangerous. We share our cycling path with the vehicle lanes. Traffic signs for drivers are the same as cyclists. So, we have to go through roundabouts, stop at traffic lights and not allowed to cycle on pedestrian footpaths! I have been yelled at many times for my initial ignorance...gosh this speaks volume of what I just pointed out in Note 4. It's easy to be killed here. I like Japan's regulation for cyclists to use the footpath. It's not only much safer, but it promotes cycling in the community as cyclists have the first right of way.

6. Though Basmati Rice is an expensive commodity in Malaysia, and is the common type of rice available here, I have been "spoiled" by the koshihikari. Nothing beats the quality of the koshihikari. I am also beginning to miss sashimi alot! Eating fish here is a luxury.

7. Living in a college community is a wonderful experience. The collegiate system in Cambridge enhances this experience because colleges are very self-sustaining with loads of activities, characteristics and facilities. There is the authentic punting experience which itself is a Cambridge experience. It just makes leaving this place harder next time.


8. I missed having a kitchen of my own like what I had in Japan. But whenever I thought of what I'd get in IUJ, I'm always thankful that I am here.



9. Cambridge is much more convenient and vibrant than in Urasa and Niigata. Everything is within walking and cycling distance. And I definitely do not have to go through a huge pile of snow here, like in Urasa.


10. I missed the technology in Japan. I remember whenever I am lost somewhere, I could quickly do a navigation search with my mobile GPS function and within seconds, I could identify my location. Here, I have to find out where the sun is to get my eastwest locations. O yes, emails. I could no longer receive and write emails with my phone. And the sms here is bloody expensive!

11. Malaysian ingredients are more accessible here than in Japan, whether it's in Tokyo, Osaka or Nagoya. Here, almost every city has a Malaysian grocery store.

12. I could find a whole-chicken in the supermarkets here. In Japan, the chickens are processed and sold according to parts. I could hardly find chicken bones in the Japanese supermarkets.

13. Souvenirs here are not as attractive as those found in Japan. When I thought back about the bakeries from the departmental stores in Japan, I salivate. Here, I'm not that impressed.

14. Instructions here are all in English. The websites here are very much "more useful" to me now. I no longer have to "translate hardcore Japanese webpages" with the Google pulldown menu or "look as if I understand" when the other person is explaining, like what happened in Japan. In Japan, when you converse in Japanese, very automatically, you would be explained and bombarded with loads of information in Japanese. It was a tedious process especially when you are still learning the language. So, you mix and match words that you understand and make out what the other person was trying to say. Here, it's smooth flow!


15. The speed of travelling! I take an hour to travel from Cambridge to London with the train. The distance is only 60km. In Japan, it takes 2 hours to cover 300km with the bullet train. Of course, travelling here is a fraction of what you pay in Japan.

16. I like the idea of separation of garbage advocated by the Japanese. The culture that I was instilled apparently made me feel very guilty when I lumped my garbage here, whether it was plastic, paper or food materials. I think the UK government should emulate the success of the Japanese. Apparently, Japan recycles 65% of their garbage, while it is still a far cry here. And sustainable development and climate change is a hot topic here.

17. The smaller figures in pounds could be quite deceiving until you have paid and do a conversion in your mind. I can't believe I have spent more than RM100 on a few stacks of greeting cards!
18. I feel my spiritual life here is more meaningful than it was in Japan. I am more comfortable with the celebration of the mass now as compared to Japan when I could hardly understand many of the Christian terminologies in Japanese.
19. It is more afforadable to participate in Marathons and Triathlons here than in Japan.
20. The different time zone is still a sore when you needed to call home.

3 comments:

feifeipinky said...

hmm...love the place u staying now...looks so...hahaha..."ENGLISH"..

Wadi: said...

Hey Alden,

Comparing Cambridge with Nigata. Emmm, quite difficult for a fair decision huh. But, your points make me wonder where is Kyoto? :)

Cheers

Noris

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

I was comparing a few places in Japan and the common grounds of UK.