Friday, May 19, 2006

Malaysian Food Fest In My Room

Went grocery shopping early this week. It sapped me a whopping record figure and a price that I had never paid this far. Am not disclosing the amount as some may start converting in their heads and tell me how much higher I have paid for this and that thing. I've had enough of that...it's Japan, so it's still very cheap...

I thought to myself that now that I have bought so much worth of raw material and stock that could last me two world wars, I might as well start cooking some of these stuff and while it is still fresh, enjoy it with other people. I love taking it fresh and seeing others enjoy them as much.

So I invited some of my classmates over for an introduction of Malaysian food by Chef Yap. I cooked my first chicken rice in Japan using the koshihikari. Some cursed me for doing that. Koshihikari rice is highly revered in Japan. As if that is not "wasteful" enough for you to curse me, I have also used half the sacred packet of curry powder to cook a big plate of curry brinjal. If that is not enough, try this...I have also threw in half a bottle of the highly priced oyster sauce here into my oyster sauce chicken. As for the other dish, it was the fried egg with tomatoes. My first Malaysian menu was:

  • 1. Chicken rice
  • 2. Oyster sauce chicken with onions
  • 3. Curry brinjal
  • 4. Fried egg with tomatoes

The chicken rice turned out to be a sellout in the first 5 minutes of business hours. This was how chicken rice turned out using the koshihikari. It's just brilliant! The pearly and shiny material made the chew even more exciting...


The Malaysian food spread. You can tell where I sat by locating the billy can or the Milo cup. Could a Samaritan send some plates and eating utensils over??!!! Pity me with all the unmatching plates, fork and spoons. Nah, just joking...it's pretty cheap here....I just need to start moving my limbs to get them...
My guest for the Malaysian Food Fest 2006 held at Takadaiso, Niigata! I may have worn a Pacesetters t-shirt, but no, they weren't the event sponsor, I'm sorry. (From L to R: Me, Farhana (Bangladesh), Sarah (Malaysian) and Konan (Ivory Coast))
Farhana, a sponsor of the Malaysian Food Fest did an egg custard and it was awesome! The egg custard (with 5 M&Ms) is called pudding (only) while the little Mickey mouse's ears look alike are called Para. They are all Bangladeshi dessert.

No comments: