Friday, May 12, 2006

Bar Coding


I have always asked what is the purpose of a "bar-code reader" function in my phone. Yes, so what if the phone could read bar-codes. It's not like it would give me a detailed description of the things I scanned over with. Even though I still do not have a solid answer, I have managed to use it in several occasions. I would say, almost every phone in Japan comes equipped with a camera for sure. But not all phones come with the infrared function. Those without the infrared will find the bar-code reader a useful tool. Sometimes you ask for A's telephone number and his number is as long as you can imagine. So, A could convert his own profile ie telephone number, photo, email address and name into a code that looks like a malfunctioned tv screen. To receive it, I have to activate the reader from the camera on the phone, to read the code , where it would automatically store all the information received. The process is similar to the infrared function of other phones.

Bar codes appear in most utility bills. Just the other day I was exploring this function with my handphone bill. It worked well. Again, I may know the numbers representing the bill , now so what? ...

No comments: