Sunday, December 14, 2008

An SE1 resident

Staying in Waterloo makes me part of the SE1 community. SE1 is the first half of the UK alphanumeric postcode system for my area.

Not every area has a "postcode community". The other postcode communities in London that I am aware of are W4 and SE23.

The postcode community is what a Malaysian Rukun Tetangga would be like if implemented successfully and supported collectively. I would imagine my Malaysian postcode 58200 would make me an 58000 community in a like-for-like comparison.

What I like being part of the SE1 community is that I get loads of updates about what's happening, latest offers and alternative news in my area especially along the Southbank - from the London Eye to Tower Bridge.

I also get invites to events in my area. Best of all, most of them are free!

Just last Wednesday I finally made use of this privilege to attend a function organised by the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson.


For most of you who don't know him, he was the guy who represented London at the handing over ceremony in the Beijing Olympics.

Boris Johnson in Beijing

The event was a Christmas Carol Service at the Southwark Cathedral, which was also in the SE1 area. The cathedral was apparently the oldest Gothic building in London.

Southwark Cathedral

When I attended the function, I felt a little strange. It was the Church of England. The ceremony was a "yeah-but no-but yeah-but no-but yeah" of a Catholic kind. It was a little Catholic but it wasn't a Catholic Church if you know what I mean. Well the Church of England essentially came from the Roman Catholic Church anyway if you remember King Henry the 8th who started a new religious order so that he could remarry.

Anyway, when I was handed the Carol booklet, I turned through the pages to check out the order of the event.

So, there were among others, an Olympic gold medallist and the Chairman of the London Olympic Games in the service. Then there was Boris Johnson.
Susan Ohuruogu won gold in the 400m sprint in the Beijing Olympics

After the service there was a drink reception at the back of the church. That was when I met and had short conversations with the people who attended the event. It was a great opportunity to network! I even saw a lady warming up to and exchanged cards with one of the VIPs for a finger in the Olympics pie!

Boris Johnson at the drink reception

Lord Coe, the man behind the London Olympic Games

There were just too many people who wanted to chat with them, so I just limited to boring and safe subjects as well as thanking them for being there!
Busy with the crowd

Maybe I should participate more in networking events like this. Isn't this what being part of the SE1 community is all about? Hmm.

No comments: