Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Canterbury

I was in Canterbury last Saturday for a day trip. Malaysian Pacesetters runner Chris Jong, happened to be in London for a work assignment. So I asked if he'd like to tag along. He obliged.

The funny thing was we've never met. He found me in my blog. But we clicked immediately when we met.

The train journey to Canterbury took 1.5 hours. So it wasn't exhausting. Besides, having a travel companion made a lot of difference. Chris and I spoke about running almost the entire journey!

Before I found out about Canterbury, I've only associated this name with two things -a sports brand and a place in New Zealand.

Having some English tea. Coffee I think.

When I found out about this place being one of the oldest and most visited historical cities in England, I marked it out in my diary as a place to visit. Saturday came out to be the most ideal as the weather forecast was good and then I had nothing planned for the day.

When we reached Canterbury, the first thing that greeted us was a billboard that boasted itself as the "Home of the University of Kent".

As we made our way to the city, an old wall captured our attention. It looked like a mini "Great Wall". It was possibly the fort that once guarded this great city.

The Old Wall

Canterbury is one of the few cities with a rich historical evidence of the Roman Empire that once ruled England.

Today Canterbury is known as the home of England's head of religion - the Archbishop of Canterbury.
Medieval costume procession

The things that captured my interest apart from the City Wall were the Canterbury Cathedral and the breathtaking views from the University of Kent.



Canterbury Cathedral

And its ruins

The gateway into the city. Imagine the time when people rode horses through this gate. It must have been a busy thoroughfare.

Today this gate is a pain to double decker buses!

Views from University of Kent

Not only did the train journey offered some of the best rural English countryside views, but the historical castle, wall, gate, churches, canal and river in Canterbury are a good example of what England is known to have in a nutshell.


Canal

1 comment:

Raymond said...

Both of u looked like shivering from the brutal weather huh..