Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Let's Lepak in Israel

I hope I didn't raise eye brows with the title.

Malaysians are barred from going to Israel. It is clearly stated in our passports.

I have an A0-size world map in my room. After going to Spain and Italy, my thirst for religious architectures and historical places has grown bigger and bolder. So when I looked at the map for more exotic places to explore, a few places jumped out. The places were centered around the Middle East continent.

Cairo, Istanbul and Jerusalem.

While the first two cities are inundated with tourists, Jerusalem came out to be an attractive city to visit for two reasons.

One, it has some of the holiest sites in Christian, Jewish and Muslim histories.

The Al-Aqsa Mosque is an example. The site is where Prophet Muhammad delivered one of the five tenets of Islam - Muslims making five daily prayers.

Al-Aqsa Mosque

For Christians, the Al-Aqsa Mosque is where the Ten Commandments and Ark of the Covenant are housed.

Very interesting!

The second reason is because Israel is probably the most controversial country in the world. Muslims do not recognise it as a sovereign country because of the Palestinians. So how does this reason stack up to affect my choice of destination?

I always think there are compelling reasons why this country is so protected by the Jews and Muslims. Perhaps it is this curiousity that is driving me to find out these compelling reasons. The whys.

I had a quick check on what needs to be done for a Malaysian to go to Israel. I read some interesting information in a forum:

1. Malaysians who go to Israel (verified through the border control stamp) will not be allowed to return to Malaysia.

2. However, Malaysians can go to Israel for religious pilgrimage. A special stamp is required.

3. Malaysians who go to Israel must request at the Israel border control to not stamp their passports

4. Malaysians can get to Israel through the borders from Jordan.

Even though these information did give me a better idea of who could and how could one go to the country, the first point is quite worrying. The second point is also contradicting.

I did check with Wisma Putra but found nothing much on our foreign policy with Israel. I have dropped them an email so I hope I can get an answer soon.

I don't know, but my attempts to find more information have been futile so far.

It is understandable if you're pitiless towards me looking for trouble myself. Is the forbidden fruit really tastier?? Let's go to the Garden of Eden to find out.

Darn...I think that's in Iraq. They're still not open for tourist business!

2 comments:

Wadi: said...

It's good to explore Israel. I would love to experience it - albeit the controversially diplomatic ties the country has. By the way, I have private (ed) my blog due to personal reason. An anonymous has published defamatory statement on me. Do e-mail me your request via: wadi22@yahoo.com via invitation ok!

Cheers
Noris

§nóflèk said...

i'm not sure if you are aware, but usually malaysian christians who go to israel go with church groups. a lot of major churches (protestant, as far as i know) organise religious-related tours to israel, so they get the approval easier.