Sunday, August 17, 2008

Proms Bus No.9 in A

I just returned from the Royal Albert Hall for the BBC Proms.

Royal Albert Hall-outside

Inside

I thought I was going to see the proms alone but Owen agreed to come this morning. The proms was a very good experience. In fact, getting into the Royal Albert Hall in itself was an experience.

BBC Proms

But this is not what I wanted to blog about. I would rather talk than write about the proms because it was such a fabulous performance it would take me a while to write it.

It's about bus no.9.

After the proms, I spotted bus no.9 which I needed to take to Charing Cross and walk home from there. The bus was about 50m in front.

I ran to catch it. But the door slammed on me. I backed off.

The bus was packed, so the people turned to my direction and probably checked if someone got killed by the door.

I was lucky. There was a queue at the traffic lights in front. So I quickened my pace to the next stop only to find that the stop was not in use because of an ongoing road work. The bus passed by a grumpy me. What a luck.

So I continued walking further down the road. The next thing I knew, I have reached Knightsbridge, where Harrods is. I spotted another bus stop about 100m in front and then a bus no.9 passed me.

It signaled left and stopped. I ran quickly to it but I missed it by 5 seconds. Damn! Again! How can I miss two buses in a night!

Then I remembered this morning watching news that the 100m world record of 9.6 secs was smashed by Usain Bolt, not me. So I had to concede I couldn't run as fast and the bus driver would have retired and got his pensions by the time I arrived.

I continued walking. Then I reached Hyde Park Corner.

Just as I was checking the bus route map to see if bus no.9 stops here, one arrived right in front! Yay!

Finally I caught bus no.9 after the third attempt.

It felt like one of the pieces played in the proms depicting anger, frustration and then, victory in the end. I have forgotten the name of the piece but I'll just call it "Concerto Proms Bus no.9 in A".

3 comments:

feifeipinky said...

^_^ nice wkend u have there.

Kiki said...

Oh, I also went for the BBC Proms two weeks ago... Still haven't got the time to blog it yet... but it's a good experience!

Well, I totally agree that buses in the UK are a bit frustrating!!! Buses here will not stop at a bus stop unless you wave at the driver and sometimes the drivers just pretend that they did not see you!!! Moreover, the timetables say that buses will come at 5 min frequency and you end up waiting for 15 mins at the bus stop and end up finding three buses coming at one go!

feifeipinky said...

hahaha...if that in UK consider not in time...wait till u visit malaysia...worst!! it takes a person to wait up to 2hrs for a bus sometimes.
u are lucky with what u have there..really. ^_^