Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Driving Theory Test

Today is the day of reckoning for my driving theory test after poring 81345352353461342423 hours for the test and familiarising with the questions through the mock tests.

And I passed. I scored 100% in the multiple choice section which surprised me greatly considering the position I started from three weeks ago.

When I first started, I failed in all of the 11 mock exams that I took. What a shame!

I know it shouldn't sound like it needed a lot of hard work. So I was shattered when I underestimated the test.

Then I started becoming serious in what I needed to do. Instead of jumping straight into the questions I took the hard way by starting from page one till the last page in the Driving Theory Pack that I bought to help me.

One of the questions which I could always remember was:

"A van signals and cuts in from right, what should you do?"
A. slow down and maintain a safe distance, B. flash your headlights, C. sound your horn, D. accelerate to prevent the van from cutting in."

When I started by jumping straight into the mock test, I depended a lot on instinct and common sense. So I am person who would choose answers like B or C. I thought these were the sensible things to do.

Sound the horn to tell the driver, "You're such an idiot!" or flash the headlight and hope that it will scorch him alive in his seat! . Of the two, I would deduce that the best answer is C because B that blinds, is an offence. Of course, in a very REAL situation, you'd probably be expecting the answer to be E, which is "stick two fingers up at the driver". Unfortunately, A is where the point is. Today I was asked this same question. I smiled looking at it and thought what would I have put if I didn't practice for the test!

Well, now that the theory test is over, I'm one step closer to getting a full UK driving license.

For the next stage I would have to sign up for a few hours of practical UK driving habits into my system before taking the exam.

This means I have to do away with the bad Malaysian driving habits for the moment like not giving way to other vehicles because it will save me 2 seconds of my journey time, blowing the horns at cyclists and buses, double parking and lip-move profanities at annoying drivers who cut in and out like their fathers' road!

Now if you're not Malaysian and reading this, you're probably thinking that putting a Malaysian on the British roads is really not a wise thing to do. As I'm trying to learn the "British way" of driving, , I am really serious in redeeming myself and becoming a well-mannered driver, just as long as I don't meet a crazy Malaysian on the road.

3 comments:

joanium said...

Hahaha... My 'common sense' made me think, 'Obviously the answer is A'. This must mean that Australian drivers are more similar to Brits than Malaysians are.

British drivers are very courteous and patient compared to most other countries.

Mui Yen said...

don't you think if you used common sense the answer would be 'A'? though you'd probably do 'B' or 'C', haha.

ya, don't underestimate driving tests. and i strongly recommend a driving instructor. i didn't get my aussie license til i did that :b

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

Now the two of you make me feel really silly. haha. I thought my immediate reaction to a situation is the right thing to do. Let's just say I'll sound the horn, slow down and give way and then flash the headlight at the driver. After that, speed up, overtake him and do E. Hahaha...