Friday, August 08, 2008

Beijing Olympics 2008

I just returned from Trafalgar Square to see the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony with a few colleagues and am extremely proud of China.

I am still thinking about what I saw awhile ago.

My definition of a good show is simple. It's one that leaves a lasting impression and makes you think about it after it is finished. And Beijing has kept me thinking and talking about it even during work! That's why I think the show in Beijing was really good!

Some parts of the event nearly moved me to tears when I saw the faces of the performers. You can see from their expressions how much they wanted this and to give their all in an international event that could possibly be the only one in their lifetime. I must attest the expressions were such a powerful message they moved a "cold" person like me to the core!

I especially liked the human wave of Chinese characters, the display of "modern China", Shaolin performance, space adventure and the duet between Liu Huan and Sarah Brightman.



I can't remember a time when I got bored looking at the big screen with the thousands gathered at the Square. There was a sense of awe in everyone's face- Asians and Europeans alike.

The common phrases I heard over my shoulder were "Amazing!", "Really good...really really good!", "That's beautiful!", "Wow!", "Very impressive!"

So did anyone say anything bad about the event?

Yes! The western media being themselves just can't stop being cycnical. They brought up the same old subjects of human rights and freedom of speech records; air pollution, the terror threat, Tibet oppression etc etc during the broadcast. Which sort of pissed me a little.

I just don't get them sometimes. Anyway...

It doesn't really matter now, does it? Today China has shown to the world what it is really capable of and who the real gentleman is. Like it or not, China is bloody good and they really deserve this!

At 5pm awhile ago, a colleague turned on to the BBC Sport to see the ceremony live. I got distracted by it and then a few of us joined in. It was the lighting of the torch. Then it was followed by a series of fireworks.

After it was over, we smiled, looked at each other and then one of us asked a question that struck a chord to a question that everyone must have been thinking, "Now, how's London going to beat that?"


*Beijing images from BBC

1 comment:

feifeipinky said...

u know wat...liu huan is one kind of a good singer...if u google his name...there are few others olympic song he take parts too...
YES! is really a proud moment to all chinese around the world...very touching!!