Sunday, August 12, 2007

Impulsive Demeanour

The weather yesterday was perfect. The papers wrote that UK is at its emptiest on the 2nd Saturday of August. But there were no plans for activities from my end. I thought it would be a waste if I just sat in my room and did nothing.

I left for London on impulse without thinking what I wanted to do there. It was afternoon and half the day was gone. But I didn't care even though I had to fork out 12 quid for the day ticket. I just wanted out of my room.

I reached London's King's Cross station and didn't know where to go. But it was exciting. That means I didn't have to rush for anything! So I took a bus to "no-where". Then I pressed the button to stop on instinct. I was in Camden Town! I walked around and up to Kentish Town. I continued walking and then I reached Parliament Hill near or at the Highgate Village, the upper class section of London. It was a great place to hang out. People were just enjoying the sun and there were lots of family activities. I read a book at the park bench. The sun was scorching and I had to apply suntan lotion. I never thought I would ever use such a thing in this country. But it's great to smell those stuff on the skin. It reminded lots when I used it at the beaches and triathlons in Malaysia.

I received a call from Winson on my walking tour to nowhere.

"Hey where are you?" he asked

"Erm, am in London!", I answered proudly as if I won a prize for that.

"London?! You must be kidding. I spoke to you a while ago and thought you wanted to join me in (Cambridge) town for coffee."

"Aw, too late. I'm already here. Do you want to come to London instead? What's your plan for the rest of the day?"

"No. I am not going to London. But I'd be going for a Shakespeare play in the evening with some friends. Are you interested? It's 10 quid."

"Sure! I'd love to! " I answered on impulse (again).

"Can you make it back by 6.45pm?"

"Sure. See you there!"

Suddenly I was locked in an itinerary. So I had to time my pace accordingly and check the timetable for the next train back to Cambridge. I wandered in Camden Town and bought some really cheap groceries at the 99p Store for the next hour or so before I decided to go home.

I reached Cambridge at 5.30pm, took a shower, grabbed a quick bite, checked the emails and left for the Shakespeare play at the Trinity Hall park. I went home after the play and watched another movie.

I have not taken in so much stuff in one day for a loooonnnnggggg time. It was certainly my shortest turnaround time in London and probably the ugliest side of me doing things on impulse for this one time. But it felt really nice.

2 comments:

No Angel said...

Wish could do the same. Like your impulse driven day. Very inspiring.

feifeipinky said...

Good for u...u sure had a relaxing day on that day. ^_^