Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Goodbye to the Roes

Farewell dinner for the Roes

It's coming. Everyone's saying goodbye to each other and I just hate it. I hate saying goodbyes. But it must come somehow, someday. As far as I know, four of my classmates have already left Cambridge and yesterday I cooked Chris and Melissa a Malaysian Hainanese Chicken Rice (farewell) dinner before their turn to leave (on Thursday).

Hainanese Chicken Rice; de-boned to make it easier for the Mat Sallehs to eat (Mat Salleh = Caucasian; a term I have already thought the Roes)

Then again, I am equally excited because both of them have decided to visit Malaysia in September, when I am back. Yay! If everything goes as plan, Owen too would be coming and it'd be really great to see them in Malaysia as I get to show them around KL and other parts of Malaysia!

I must attest I have taken alot of things for granted living in Malaysia. It's easy if you only need to tell the way to travel by bus from KL to Penang, but what about travelling from KL to say, Pulau Tioman? It's quite different living in the country and travelling there as a tourist. There were many things I didn't know their significance too. Every Malaysian is familiar with the Petronas Twin Towers and the Sultan Abdul Samad building, but it's a different thing altogether if you were asked, "Why did the British architect who designed the Sultan Abdul Samad Building ended up with an Islamic design when it was done in the neo-colonial period?" I have not (yet) been asked that question yet but these are the type of questions (inspired by The Star recently) that would make me google to find the answers.

2 comments:

feifeipinky said...

i guess it will be easier this time round for u to show ur frens around KL or other parts of M'sia...coz this yr is visit M'sia year...many those day trips & tour around KL buses can be easily found...& they are reasonably cheap. u can get these packages via RapidKL,Major train stations, KL Central & KLCC. (These r some info that i saw whenever i commute via train)

Anonymous said...

Mmmm food looks good! Now I crave to eat it.
Teri