Sunday, October 05, 2008

Raya in London

Today was the Raya Open House in London organised by the MSD. I was reluctant to go when it started raining early in the morning and there was no sign that it was ever going to stop for the day. However, since I have promised to go with two groups of friends, I had to brave through the rain.

Well, the other part of me was also screaming to go as I always like going for events like this. I get to meet new people and eat Malaysian food which I wouldn't usually cook on normal days. Just like today, the buffet spread was ayam masak merah, rendang daging, ketupat, acar, lontong, nasi minyak, asam laksa, sambal ikan bilis and lots of kuih muih. I wouldn't normally cook these type of dishes. Or even if I could, I probably wouldn't, so I have reasons to go for events like this in future.




I particular liked the ayam masak merah, rendang daging and the kuih loyang. I say this with two possible reasons; either I've become less "demanding" in my taste for food or they were really good. I believe it's the latter since I've not been home for slightly more than a year only.

I was gladly surprised to meet up with Jimmy Choo, London's fashion mogul in shoemaking who's also Malaysian. Despite his fame and high flying achievements, he was so kind to step out from his VIP chair and take a photograph with us. In fact, I didn't feel any air of "VIP-ness" as everyone was so approachable on this happy occasion.

L to R: Fiona, Jimmy Choo, me and Amy

Last year, I was so aware that Raya was approaching and was counting down to the first day of Raya with my ESD friends who came to visit. This year, I wish I remembered about Raya. It was not until Tuesday that I found out about it when I read about the Eid ul-Fitr in FT and the subsequent emails sent out by former Chevening scholars of my batch.

On this note, I apologise to all my Muslim friends that I didn't wish them any earlier and I hope this is not too late. My special wish goes to Noris, Nik Rahini, Aeni, Fairuz, Kartini, Shahnaz, Eskandar, former colleagues from the Gamuda Group and to you, you and you who are celebrating Raya...Selamat Hari Raya. Maaf zahir dan batin!!

3 comments:

Wadi: said...

Dear Alden,

Thanks dearly for your raya wishes. You should celebrate raya, next time, in Malaysia :) On your Cambridge friends' visit last year, it was damn awesome! We should repay a visit to them in Seattle. Thanks once again for the kind wishes.

Cheers
Noris

No Angel said...

Hi Alden! Thank you for the raya wish. Must catch up when u get back. :).

VV said...

wah wah wah wah wah ~~ JIMMY CHOO ~ OH MY GOSH!!... I wish one day I shall wear his shoes... ohh....